2nd Kemper, exactly the same direct output problem... SOLVED (rear input make this difference)

• EDIT: So my Kemper will stay at home cause he has no problem. ^^
    The problem was because i used the rear input as i always did but with the front (Mic) input it seems to work perfectly.
    I don't know why but it's probably normal and i know now that i need to use this input for direct guitar recording.

I will make some tests of profiling etc as soon as possible and send feedback to you. If i can test another same soundcard i'll also tell you about it.
    But i must say maybe not to soon cause i just want to play my kemper now !! ;)

Hi i recieved my 2nd Kemper yesterday and i've got the same direct output problem... (maybe a little less big)

So am I incredibly unlucky or a lot of people has this issue and not many of you knows ?? If you didn't use your direct output you can't know.

Here some examples (again...)

First the wet clip from spdif: http://soundcloud.com/mugiwara…-guitar-from-spdif-kemper
    All is ok here

2nd the dry guitar from direct output in the line in 1 of my soundcard
    http://soundcloud.com/mugiwara…guitar-from-direct-output

You can here some sound saturation and visualy i saw that my sound card clipped a many times (a lot)

finally, same guitar, same entry but my guitar direct in the entry and playe even harder !!

http://soundcloud.com/mugiwara-4/dry-guitar-direct

no clipping problem and a huge difference between direct output of the kemper and the guitar

So what next ? changing again and again and again to have always the same problem ?
    For the moment i'm really sad and i can't believe that just me had this issue, 2 times with 2 different kemper.... :wacko:

My advise for you is doing test of the level from direct output from your kemper and from your guitar to see if there is any difference.

Do this problem affect the profiling mode ? (maybe it's like that for the profiling mode ?)

Personally Re amping is something essential so if i can just re amp parts that i play VERY gently...

I'm lost here...

Edited once, last by MisterC ().

• Is there a particular reason why master output as well as input sens wont affect this?

I guess most people aren't recording from the direct output/send, the real question is whether any processing happens there beyond AD/DA. Only Christoph can answer that.

• Could it be a level mismatch with your sound card? I also use the direct out with no issue but the gain on the mixer is set a lot lower (-10db, I use a third channel for it)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Did you disconnect the SPDIF when you did the direct output test? (basically are you 100% sure that you recorded just that one single channel only and not the analog + digital)

The thing is I've gone through testing here and the sound I get form the direct output on the back of my unit is exactly the same as the sound if i plug my guitar direct into my audio interface.

It's possible you got a second dud unit (which would be very odd), but I'm suspecting there has to be some other factor involved.

• So you need to set lower your entry to have no issues ? 8|

I will test to do that but i'm pretty sure that i can't do that with my soundcard cause i already try to do it.

But what about profiling with this to high direct output ??

I also tried to profile an amp (also with the first Kemper ) and my amp saturated (it is a little amp) and my profile saturated too.

• My soundcard is a M-audio firewire 410

And yes i tried to disconnect spdif, tried with and without it and tried with main output instead of spdif, the same problem...

• Just so you know the rest of us aren't blowing smoke up your ass, here's my result, part 1 is the guitar going direct into my sound cards second hi-z input, part 2 is the guitar going into the KPA and the KPA's direct output going into the same input with exactly the same settings on the interface : http://www.per-anders.net/general/guitardirectVdirectout.mp3

There's a very slight dulling of the sound going through the KPA, but it's within a tolerance that could equally be down to the way I played.

• I did the test too when the OP first had a problem and my levels are similar with discernable difference ..I feel something wrong elsewhere in his set up cause such a bad luck would be too much

• I should mention I also tried a bunch of things on the KPA to see if I could replicate your issue, but nothing I did could change this (changing input sens, noise gates, master output volumes, changing modes between tuner, browser and profiler modes), the one thing I didn't try was enabling/disabling effects and stomps you could maybe try just in case the KPA sends a stomped signal out for some bizarre reason.

The other thing is, have you tried all the various system, factory etc resets in case that fixes it?

• BTW why did you talk about SPDIF ?? direct have nothing to do with the main outs..to check if direct works well I'd unplug everything but the direct out..I don't understand why you said you tried with SPDIF or main outs when none are concerned here ?

• BTW why did you talk about SPDIF ?? direct have nothing to do with the main outs..to check if direct works well I'd unplug everything but the direct out..I don't understand why you said you tried with SPDIF or main outs when none are concerned here ?

Good point, Bruno.

• I should have specified that I set the level lower than the XLR main outs. Compared to plugging the guitar in to the same channel of the mixer there is almost no difference...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

Sorry for late answer, i was out.

So i did the tests without everything like you bruno but i also tried with at the same time spdif or main output if it change anything but no no changes with or without anything.

• So, after a first system reset, no more high level problem !!!

Wait a minute, it's because there is no sound at all !! yljsdfsdfhmbgsoljbglsfjbg....