2nd Kemper, exactly the same direct output problem... SOLVED (rear input make this difference)

• It doesn't clip with my single coil but volume changes.

My humbuckers are seymour duncan custom or dimarzio tone zone.

I will do some test soon with the active emg of my brother but i'm afraid.

• I believe he stated he's using the "Direct Output/Send" 1/4 jack output only from the KPA. There's really only one option on that output which is the ground/lift button (and which I can't see magically amplifying the signal).

Provided he's sending the output from that through the same cable he used for direct guitar to the same input he plugged his guitar into on the same soundcard with the same settings he used to record the dry guitar i.e. everything is identical except this time there's a Kemper in the chain (and nothing else is plugged in anywhere here), and he only has the guitar going in to the input on the front of the Kemper then all should be good.

Another thing I didn't test was if there would be any difference using one of the inputs on the back of the KPA instead of on the front. But I don't see that it should.

• Just from the direct out or all outputs???

Yes exactly (edit: just from direct i mean) but it come back after switching to profiler mode

Per, yes i did exactly like you said and for the alternative input was disable by Kemper, am i wrong ?

• Thank you but I don't use XLR output and the problem is only with the direct output (jack).

I don't know if i can search tips to do it cause if my direct output has issues (it can't be just me), it will affect the profiling i think.

• I just did the test again and my levels are 100% the same... I was going to ask you what guitar you use in case active would fucked up (for an unknown reason) something..but it is not active so
    This is really a mystery :?:

Thank you but I don't use XLR output and the problem is only with the direct output (jack).

OK - be sure you are using TRS 1/4" balanced cable between KPA direct output (jack) , and feed one of the rear 1/4" Line inputs on the Firewire 410

Do not use the front XLR Mic inputs on the 410

• I have this EXACT problem and it is why I can't profile my preamp pedal. Direct Output is too hot. The fix apparently is using a gain trim..

Well..the fix is having a 100% functional unit..this is NOT normal..and I'd like to know where the problem is ?

• Has Kemper customer support got anything to say about this? (Have you reported it to them yet?).

I didn't ask them yet (i'm sure it's difficult and they are busy but i had some questions without respond...) but for the first one after asking me to do some different reset they said that:

ok, sorry, but then I'm afraid the unit has a hardware problem and needs to get exchanged. Please contact your dealer for getting exchange.

As a customer i always take my chance and ask for something when i get some trouble with what i buy, i've got that:

Overall I'm confident, that generally the unit is very stable now with our latest firmware. We have little real hardware issues.
    Your case might be one of the rare exceptions.
    Unfortunately it might be wrong cause 2 Kemper for me, the mikeb one and how many have this issue and don't know about it.

I can notice the problem is not as bad as my first Kemper but it's still to much and the fact that some of you have no difference between direct from KPA and guitar (like BRUNO) proove that is not normal.

• What input of your soundcard do you use?
    Is there a High Z input available?

• So I send a mail to the Kemper support, will see what next...

If i make a list of person who have higher direct output on the kemper than the guitar (not normal confirm by the perfect unit of BRUNO)
    here it is:

-Me, 2 times (black kemper)
    -mikeb (sorry for you man but thanks, i feel a bit less alone :whistling: )

If anybody noticed an higher direct output please tell that i will report to Kemper.
    They thought it was a very rare problem (if it is i'm cursed) and if not they must take care of that for the future units that will be produced and for customers to have normal working unit.

So now i don't know what next, will wait the support answer...
    Maybe giving up or exchange kemper until have a good one... really annoying and waste of time imo, i want to seriously begin to make music now X(

• What input of your soundcard do you use?
    Is there a High Z input available?

Hi christophe, i use the line input 1 but i did the test with the 2 and there is no change.
    Sorry but i don't now what is High Z input.
    I don't want to use front input cause they are preamped.

Even i could find an astuce i don't want to make profile with not a good (same) guitar level (my first try with the first one make saturate the amp so the profile)

• I think this may be a hardware problem. I did this test on my KPA. Guitar into Inst Input on RME UC then into Reaper. Measure signal with PSP Vintage Meter, set Odb to -18. Needle reads between -3 and -5. Repeat but guitar into KPA and then Direct Out into Inst Input on RME UC. Needle is between -2 and -5, so a little hotter signal. This is something I have already noticed and compensate by sensitivity settings and using 'the pot' pedal to reduce level going into an amp from KPA when profiling. However, your volume differences are of an altogether greater order of magnitude.

PSP Vintage meter is free and very useful for getting correct level going into a DAW. I also tried it with the Kemper Profiles and found that their levels when going into soundcard via Left XLR out , with master volume on full, into RME line input read 0, which is good. A few days later I found their levels were exceeding this. The reason was a corrupt rig which I deleted, following which the levels went back to 0.

Vintage amp obsessive

• Thanks everyone for answering me, i will be in another place for 3 days so i'll can't answer you if you aske me something. (maybe tonight i will have an internet access)

to be continued...

• I just tested this with the following:

First I split my guitar signal in two with Lehle P-split. I routed the two signals into two separate instrument inputs (Hi-Z) of my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP and set the levels of both signals via trims on the Focusrite so that the record peaks were matching.

Second I routed the second split signal through KPA via it's direct out and into the instrument input of Focusrite. The signal levels of "just DI-guitar" and "DI-guitar-via-KPA" were identical on my DAW.

Using the Lehle P-split and two simultaneous signals should have eliminated any changes in my playing. And setting the trims with two DI-guitar signals with P-split gave me a good baseline for this comparison. So atleat to me it seems that the level of direct out is the same as the level of the incoming guitar signal. BTW I'm on the latest public FW.

MisterC - hopefully you get this sorted out, sorry for your troubles.