2nd Kemper, exactly the same direct output problem... SOLVED (rear input make this difference)

• Hi christophe, i use the line input 1 but i did the test with the 2 and there is no change.
    Sorry but i don't now what is High Z input.
    I don't want to use front input cause they are preamped.

Even i could find an astuce i don't want to make profile with not a good (same) guitar level (my first try with the first one make saturate the amp so the profile)

The inputs on your soundcard may all be with lower impedance (low z) and not suited to take the guitar direct. It puts too much load on the guitar, that might change the sound and volume. Please check if an high impedance or instrument input is mentioned in the manual of your audio interface.
    The input of the Profiler is high impedance and perfectly matches the guitar. The Direct Out on the other hand is low impedance and will match easily on all inputs of your soundcard, preserving the correct volume.

In other words: the direct out helps to interface your guitar to your audio interface. The higher volume is a good indicator for a good match.

The only thing to solve the situation is simpy lowering the input gain of your sound card to avoid clipping.

• Hi christophe, i use the line input 1 but i did the test with the 2 and there is no change.
    Sorry but i don't now what is High Z input.
    I don't want to use front input cause they are preamped.

Even i could find an astuce i don't want to make profile with not a good (same) guitar level (my first try with the first one make saturate the amp so the profile)

That might be the problem ..you must use the front input and not the rear line level ones..try it ...

• just to chuck in, as this is about direct output, i have tried all the forum 'tricks' but cannot get any sound out of it, and in addition i don't think my other jack outputs on my main output are working either, what can i try now?

• ... Rear inputs of the audio interface?

Yes exactly, i always used those inputs for direct instruments (or before with my pod) cause the front input are preamped i use this only for vocals or sometimes acoustic guitar.

I never had a clipping issue with all guitars and bass i entered directly in it.

Edited once, last by MisterC ().

• Yes exactly, i always used those inputs for direct instruments (or before with my pod) cause the front input are preamped i use this only for vocals or sometimes acoustic guitar.

I never had a clipping issue with all guitars and bass i entered directly in it.

Try the front one..the rear one is a line level one..at consumer level but still line..instrument input is in front

• I can try the front one that implicate that i need to adjust it every time with every different guitar, really annoying especially if i don't do each takes in one day, if i'm on several project at on time (like usually) and i'll need to adjust it before each take (it's not precise), i will have some level différence etc... I can't imagine doing this every time.
    I also don't want to use the preamp of my soundcard.

If with a 100% working kemper, the direct output must be the same or really close to direct from guitar, in my case it's not (big difference).
    I want no other thing than a normal working kemper !

Next answer from me not until sunday night, have a great week end you all.

• It's not about what you prefer but about doing things right..if the front input provides the same level with guitar direct or thru the Kemper then you'll know where the problem is and that it is not the kemper ...the front panel input is the one to use ..you need to preamp a guitar signal..And I don't see where adjusting the level is a problem..do you have 200 guitars ? just take a note of the setting for each guitar and it will take 5 seconds

• CK you are 100% correct about impedance being the issue here. I thought my Direct Out was too hot because the signal into my Digitech Preamp Pedal was being overloaded but it was just impedance mismatch. The preamp pedal was expecting a high impedance and got low instead.. which I guess makes it overdrive like crazy.

• Really? A preamp pedal should not have impedance problems.
    The only situation where severe impedance problems happen is feeding the passive guitar into a mic or line input.

• Hi, finally at home, so christophe i don't know if that respond to your answer but it's the only thing i've found about rear inputs:

These are unbalanced analog inputs on standard 1/4” TS connectors at –10dB line level. They are parallel
    to the front-panel analog inputs, and are functional only when the front panel mic/line switch is in the “in” position

It's not about what you prefer but about doing things right..if the front input provides the same level with guitar direct or thru the Kemper then you'll know where the problem is and that it is not the kemper ...the front panel input is the one to use ..you need to preamp a guitar signal..And I don't see where adjusting the level is a problem..do you have 200 guitars ? just take a note of the setting for each guitar and it will take 5 seconds

Man, I feel weird at this time, I'm clearly not a technical guy (it's why the Kemper interested from the first day) but i'm so sure that my seller told me when i bought this soundcard that it was better to record direct instruments (to use plugin next etc) to use rear input not preamped to not color the sound !! :wacko:
    I did that for years now and never had any issues so i didn't look over that !
    I've just tested the line preamped and i thing there is no noticable level difference (or very little) need to do more test but not possible until tomorrow.

If it's normal to have this volume difference with the other input... wow so much wasting time for nothing !! X(
    When i looked to the manual after noticed this huge level difference i saw "it will carry the original guitar signal" so it was not for me, if there is a technical reason it's so over me...

Will make more tests tomorrow and let you know about this !

• Really? A preamp pedal should not have impedance problems.
    The only situation where severe impedance problems happen is feeding the passive guitar into a mic or line input.

Bottom line is the preamp is cheap and not-so-good sounding anyways. I really am not worried about it at all. Most of the high gain profiles sound a lot better than it anyways. :thumbup:

Most assuredly the problem is not with the Kemper but with the preamp box.