How to make clean tones 'softer'?

• Hey guys

I downloaded a profile of Gilmours amp (HiWatt) from TAF. I'm trying to get the clean tones to sound 'softer', at the moment sound too immediate and hard, if that makes any sense!

Maybe this is a characteristic of the amp I don't know, but a softer, bluesy tone is what I'm after!

• I find some amps that way as well, in particular, Dumble. I go for the softer tones as well, and the rmpacheco Morgan AC20 (with a Celestion Blue cab instead of the original), and MBritts 57 Deluxe (with the same Blue cab) are my goto's for this. I do vary the gain on these to suit my needs though.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I find some amps that way as well, in particular, Dumble. I go for the softer tones as well, and the rmpacheco Morgan AC20 (with a Celestion Blue cab instead of the original), and MBritts 57 Deluxe (with the same Blue cab) are my goto's for this. I do vary the gain on these to suit my needs though.

For gain they're OK, but I find for cleans their just too hard. I completely forgot about the 'definition' setting though so maybe I'll give that a bash

• The definition control is the first place I would start.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if it's a true representation of David Gilmour's amp settings - that amp was set to LOUD. Like 7 or 8. That's part of it. Hiwatts are known for having a fast attack and being less forgiving than other amps. Its just how they are.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• definition sure and don't forget to tame your tone knob on the pickup of your guitar & adapt your picking, I mostly switch to fingers on clean parts and I play a lot of them.

On a dynamic profile like the Morgan, the attack of your play will change the tone a lot like any regular tube amp.

give a try to my 'boogie on spring' or ' blaxploitation ' rig on rig ex , it's pretty good for these bluesy tone you're after , but adjust gain to taste first