Michael Britt Profiles

• Hi All! Starting to get why people love the Michael Britt profiles. I am only using the free pack so far and loving it! Adding a post EQ and brightening it up a little and wow. Perfect studio stuff. Is Kemper going to add any more or do we have to go out and buy now? haha Thanks!

• Is Kemper going to add any more or do we have to go out and buy now? haha Thanks!

Free is always fun, but the bang for the buck from all of the commercial profilers, including Michael, is massive. His Crank 'n Go pack (a personal favorite of mine) is $40, but has over 60 profiles from nine great amps, any of which would cost me a heckuva lot more than 40 bucks.

You wouldn't get very far in a music store with a pair of twenty dollar bills, so it's definitely worth paying the profilers whose work you like. For the time and effort they put into it, they all offer a great value.

Also, keep an eye out for sales. When I first got the Kemper I decided to try some commercial profiles to see the best of what the unit could do. For the style of music I play Michael's stuff was perfect. This just happened to be around Black Friday, when he was running a 40% off sale.

Without disclosing the full extent of my impulse control issues, let's just say that I'm now well stocked on M. Britt profiles. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I am actually a little disappointed with the M.Britt free profiles (haven't bought any yet), they sound too dark and lifeless for my taste...

If you have any suggestions for specifics I should check out that may change my mind lol :)

• Yeah, I messed with the cabinet high and low shifts, post eq, and definition control. The actual cabinet he uses for all profiles actually sounds great. They were very different after the changes I made for my home monitors which arent the best already.

• YoavHanuka, my first impression: you are probably not listening to the profiles at a high enough volume.

All,

My perception is that there has been a progression of MBritt profiles. The earliest profiles(including those in the free pack), the "middle" profiles(such as GrabnGo & CranknGo), and the most recent 2020 pack, each have some overall differences. In my opinion, there are outstanding profiles in every pack, with the most recent profiles being "better". This is almost certainly due to Michael's learning curve, refinement of his process, finding amps that profile better, and many other factors. And he started at a very high benchmark. Based on reading these forums, his earliest profiles were the benchmark.

For some perspective, Michael and I are of a similar age, and based on his playing on his demos, have similar tastes in music and playing style. For full disclosure, while Michael was enjoying(I hope) huge success with Lonestar, I was playing covers of all their hits. Point being, his profiles are perfectly suited for me because I have similar tastes and needs. Your tastes and needs might be different.

Putting this in writing feels heretical, but there is no requirement that you must like and use MBritt profiles to successfully use the Kemper. Based on reading these forums and my observations of other players I meet on the road, it appears that a large percentage of players do like and use his profiles. My observation has been that, many professional, working, accomplished players, are using the free MBritt profiles. Even players that are successful to the point where money is in no way a limiting factor. And those player run the spectrum of genres and styles. And those player run the spectrum from "I use them right out of the box." to "...they are HEAVILY tweaked..." . Those are both direct quotes from players I met at gigs and are household names.

Suggestion: If you don't like a profile (or set of profiles) and if it is not in your personality to tweak away, there are other great options both free and paid. Your time is best spent starting from a good "base" profile and then making some great, inspired music.

Be Thankful.

• The louder you play them the better. They are made to sound good live rather than in a mix.

you are probably not listening to the profiles at a high enough volume.

Can not agree more. And it took me some time to understand the beauty of Michael's profiles for all situations. If you listen to them at bedroom volume you might consider them as dull in worst case. But at rehearsal or gig volume or during mixing with decent levels those are great all over the place.

The earliest profiles(including those in the free pack), the "middle" profiles(such as GrabnGo & CranknGo), and the most recent 2020 pack, each have some overall differences.

Agree as well. It's getting better and better. Actually after I enjoyed the 2020 pack for some time now I went back to earlier stuff and still like it really a lot. Crank & Go is my favorite. But the rest is to my taste as well. Always satisfied with the tone I get with minimal tweaking... :thumbup:8)

• Hi All! Starting to get why people love the Michael Britt profiles. I am only using the free pack so far and loving it! Adding a post EQ and brightening it up a little and wow. Perfect studio stuff. Is Kemper going to add any more or do we have to go out and buy now? haha Thanks!

I also like mbritt a lot but I can't get a good eq for recordings. Could you share the eq that you add to the mbritt profiles?

• I just purchased some MBritt stuff and bought the 5150 pack twice. So I have 2 copies. Thinking of sending the ZIP file to someone here if they want it? Is that cool to do?

I am not going to try for a refund because MBritt rules and I like giving him business. Was almost thinking of buying a pack each week and doing a raffle :/

• I just purchased some MBritt stuff and bought the 5150 pack twice. So I have 2 copies. Thinking of sending the ZIP file to someone here if they want it? Is that cool to do?

I am not going to try for a refund because MBritt rules and I like giving him business. Was almost thinking of buying a pack each week and doing a raffle :/

It's OK to gift somebody else a pack as long as you don't keep it yourself.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I will wait a couple days more... :thumbup:

I've dealt with him privately WRT account issues and whatnot and I can tell you he's totally-understanding and generous, so no need to sweat it, mate.

The timing won't change anything; he just wants his customers to be happy. :thumbup:

EDIT

I see from 'hookster's reply that you might have been considering me for a gift. There I was thinking you meant you had our advice in-mind.

Thanks man! No need to consider me 'though; I buy all his stuff and am up-to-date IIRC. Give it to a deserving soul rather than a pesky ol' monkey. :D