setup to record with UAD Apollo Twin

• Hi, Im trying to record my new Kemper to the UAD apollo twin and to cubase.

When the Kemper goes directly to the monitors it sounds fine but

when I setup the XLR outputs into the UAD it sounds different from directly to the monitors and not good at all. (I have tried both without any input preamp and with the neve 1073)

Also I purchased an XRL SPDIF cable that cannot be plugged into the UAD apollo twin unless I purchase a converter as well...

What am I doing wrong? What is the best way to setup/record the kemper with the apollo twin?

Thanks,

M

• Using XLR cables you engage the mic preamps in the twin. Use jack cables between the two instead. Another option as you mention is to buy a spdif converter. This works well in those cases where you'd like to record both stack and DI signals.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Got the new cables and that part has been fixed THANK YOU

However the Kemper does not sound the same through the UAD Apollo (and monitoring through the UAD console using a clean template) as opposed to directly to the monitors. It sounds more compressed and just overall more like a plugin...lol

Any ideas?

• Make sure you link the Apollo inputs so they get panned left and right. Also adjust the gain so it doesn't clip. If you peak around -6db you are golden.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Panned full left and right on the UAD console.

Here is a recording/screenshot from cubase when playing a rhythm funk riff (dynamic range from -10db to 0 when you pick hard).

Shouldn't the waveform be larger?

Also should a limiter be used on the UAD console L+R channels? like the LA-2A as a BUS/SEND?

Any suggestions?:)

• Looks OK if you record in 24 bit. Increase the gain if you'd like to record hotter.

• When you connect XLR left from Kemper to Line 1 on The Apollo you'd want to pan that channel hard left to make sure it comes out of the left speaker only. Similar for right. This mirror what you do when you connect directly to your monitors. This will make you stereo effects (reverb, delay, mod etc.) work correctly.

• You want to have your input at an average of -18 dB while recording optimum signal/noise ratio.

Embarrassed to have relearned that for as long as I've been recording...

f you want louder than that, either turn up your fader in software or your monitor level on the interface

• You want to have your input at an average of -18 dB while recording optimum signal/noise ratio.

Embarrassed to have relearned that for as long as I've been recording...

f you want louder than that, either turn up your fader in software or your monitor level on the interface

I thought -6db is what I should be aiming for... otherwise the recorded waveform is low... this is getting confusing...:rolleyes:

• There a no hard and fast rules. -6db peak and -18db average sounds reasonable.

• Are you sure of that? Even at the same volume? Check that you don't have the high-pass filter enabled in the Apollo console.

• Can you simply bypass everything and just record the Kemper without processing? The Twin is software emulations of hardware that colours the sound.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7