Reamping Noise while tracking

• Hey Folks,

i have a problem with reamping. Im sure i set up everything correct (Reamping Input, Routing the DI Signal to the Kemper return Input via Focusrite 4i4 etc.) but if if the rcord but is armed/ i record i get a very noisy metalish signal along the reamped sound. So i cannot monitor the sound through my Studio Monitors properly. When i deactivate record monitoring on the reamping Track in the Daw the noise is gone but i dont get any sound at all. Afterwards i can listen to the reamped stuff and it sounds brilliant so there is no problem with that. But its hard to dial in a matching sound this way.

One thing that is strange is that when i pan the Balance hard right on the reamping Track in the DAW it disaperars and i have the sound (but just on right Monitor so thats no real alternative)

With the Headphone out of the Kemper it works as long as i deactivate record monitoring. The Kemper is actually brand new. I tried a lot of cables and also the 4. instead of the 3 Output of the Focusrite (which is also new).

Some more Infos:

My recorded DI is a proper signal without clipping.

Focusrite Output 3 goes to use the return Input

My Main Output is set to Master Stereo

My DAW is Reaper

Thank you so much!

• it sounds like a feedback loop in the DAW. I dont use Reaper so can’t be specific to your software but here is how I would do it in Logic.

For recording send both SPDIF signals (DI and Mono Stack usually) to separate mono tracks rather than a single stereo track.

when reamping route the DI signal out of its track to the Kemper. Thos track would bot be send to the main stereo bus.

arm a separate track to record the reamped sound. This track will be sent to the main stereo bus but NOT the reamp output.

• Agree with the above, check those settings out.

In Reaper, for the DI sends, click the io button, uncheck master send (if it's a sub folder, it'll say parent send). Then add a new 'hardware output' using the output your cable is connected to. It should be a unique output, one not used for anything else.

Then on the master track, make sure that the DI output is not selected as the master hardware output.

You could also try direct monitoring the input (return from Kemper) thru your audio interface instead of record monitoring in Reaper as a test.

If that sounds fine, then the problem is within Reaper. Maybe it's track leakage, or a plugin somewhere if that is the case.

• Thanks so far for your Replys!

Actually i already tried the most of what you suggested with no success.

In Reaper, for the DI sends, click the io button, uncheck master send

If i do that nothing comes out (The DI Track is silent)

You could also try direct monitoring the input (return from Kemper) thru your audio interface instead of record monitoring in Reaper as a test.

If that sounds fine, then the problem is within Reaper.

that sounds obvious because if i monitor it with the Headphones directly from the Kemper everything is fine. But i cant just find the Error.