Do you have multiple Kempers? How are you using them?

• I bought the Kemper Stage because I love the form factor. I already had a Kemper Powered Rack with Remote. I used the Rack/Remote for gigging for a short time and ended up moving to using the Atomic Amplifire 6 out of convenience. When the Stage came out I was so happy I could use the Kemper with the same convenience! I figured I would just sell my Rack setup, but thought I could use it for recording and put it in the rack with the two outboard preamps I have.

If you have multiple Kempers, how are you using them?

• I started with a rack and then later added a toaster. My plan was to run two Kempers simultaneously at gigs for a thicker sound with a TC Mimic pedal in front of them (one output of the Mimic going to Kemper 1 and the other stereo output of Mimic going to Kemper 2). The problem is that there is a noticeable lag/latency when using one Kemper footswitch to control both Kemper’s. For example, trying to get both Kempers to switch from a clean rig to distorted rig, you would hear them switching a different times (like a half second delay) which makes it totally useless in a live setting. I’ve tried multiple ways of hooking this up (including the way that ToneJunkies mentions on their YouTube video) and it flat out doesn’t work. The UI to MIDI doesn’t help either. Can’t get rid of the delay of one Kemper sending them command to the next Kemper to switch.

So I’ve now just gone back to using one Kemper live, and leaving my toaster set up at home for recording or practicing.

• I'm currently using an RFX MIDI Wizard (there is also a MIDI Buddy that is easier to find) and one of it's features is an additional MIDI out called "Shared". So basically, it can send the same signal out from 2 different physical MIDI jacks at the same time. I'm wondering if you couldn't use this (or maybe even just a MIDI Splitter of some kind) to control both of them via MIDI, instead of trying to daisy chain them together? In theory, they should both get the MIDI signals at the same time and reduce, if not eliminate, the delay caused by daisy chaining them.

That won't work. According to past discussions I've had with Kemper, you can't use a separate MIDI device to control both Kempers because the Kempers also send MIDI info back to the footswitch and it could mess things up having 2 Kempers sending different info to the footswitch at the same time. The only way to do it (as far as I've heard) is to connect a MIDI cable from Kemper 1 MIDI out to the MIDI in of Kemper 2. But that's the problem. You step on the footswitch to change the Kempers; Kemper 1 receives the command and switches just fine, but there is a significant delay between the hitting the footswitch and when Kemper 1 sends Kemper 2 the MIDI signal to change.

• I would be certain running a midi cable in to one unit and then from midi thru to the next kemper would have no lag. I was running this setup with other midi gear before I simplified my setup. That's what midi thru is for, it passes on the midi signal with no processing added. As for making a stage control a kemper rack, I've no idea but I'm sure the kemper boffins would have planned for this.

• I would be certain running a midi cable in to one unit and then from midi thru to the next kemper would have no lag. I was running this setup with other midi gear before I simplified my setup. That's what midi thru is for, it passes on the midi signal with no processing added. As for making a stage control a kemper rack, I've no idea but I'm sure the kemper boffins would have planned for this.

Well, I was pretty certain it would work too; until I tried it.

• I don't see how that would be a problem for my MIDI pedal since it doesn't receive any data, it only sends it. So I don't think it would care if the Kemper's are sending any data since it won't do anything with it anyway.

If you have your Kemper Footswitch hooked to this MIDI device and then out of that to 2 Kempers, how will the footswitch know what text to display on the screen? Or which Kemper to receive other info from (like tap tempo settings, etc)? I don’t know the ins and outs of it. I’m just going on what I was told by Kemper on this forum.

• Well, I was pretty certain it would work too; until I tried it.

I'm referring to midi equipment, the kemper remote isn't midi equipment. I just wanted to clarify that the kemper isn't going to induce midi lag if you are using the midi in and midi thru connections. If you're using the kemper or other equipment to generate midi signals then that may create lag, I can't offer any advice on that sorry. I'm personally using a voodoo labs ground control

• I just wanted to clarify that the kemper isn't going to induce midi lag if you are using the midi in and midi thru connections.

This is exactly how I have it hooked up and it does lag. This has already been discussed and dissected by the Kemper team in another thread.

• The Kemper Remote (if that is what you are using) does NOT have a MIDI out, so that would not by possible.

I didn't say I was going out of the MIDI on the Footswitch. I was using the Kemper Footswitch to control my Kemper. The only MIDI I'm using was to go out of the first Kemper and into the 2nd.

Again, didn't want to hijack this thread with something that has already been discussed and dissected thoroughly by the Kemper team in another thread and determined to not be possible to do what I'm looking to do using the Kemper Footswitch and 2 Kempers.

• I appreciate you trying to sort it out. I just gave up on running two Kempers the way I wanted to a long time ago because after many back and forth discussions, I was told that it wasn't possible to do what I wanted to do. There was some reason (can't remember what it was) that I wouldn't be able to use the Kemper footswitch or a separate MIDI controller to get the desired results that I want. I think it was the fact that I also wanted to use the foot pedals (wah and morphing) or something like that.

• I have 4 kempers. I started with a toaster for my studio then purchased a rack version to use live. I then invested in another rack version for the studio so I could track 2 guitars at the same time. Then Kemper released the stage which I brought to use live and ended up putting my live rack Kemper in the studio so now I have 3 in the studio and I use the stage for live use only.

• I have 4 kempers. I started with a toaster for my studio then purchased a rack version to use live. I then invested in another rack version for the studio so I could track 2 guitars at the same time. Then Kemper released the stage which I brought to use live and ended up putting my live rack Kemper in the studio so now I have 3 in the studio and I use the stage for live use only.

Are you using the Kemper Remote at all?

Noob question here. How do you set up to track 2 guitars at the same time? I would buy another one if I could do this. I have an unpowered rack. Is it best to go with another rack or does it work with a stage and rack together.

• Noob question here. How do you set up to track 2 guitars at the same time? I would buy another one if I could do this. I have an unpowered rack. Is it best to go with another rack or does it work with a stage and rack together.

This is not really related to your kemper version or anything. Whatever devices you have, you connect them to separate inputs on your sound card, arm both for recording and away you go.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

Are you using the Kemper Remote at all?

I have a Kemper remote but to be honest I don’t use it that much only if the guitarist in the studio needs to use a wash or flick some effects on and off.

• Noob question here. How do you set up to track 2 guitars at the same time? I would buy another one if I could do this. I have an unpowered rack. Is it best to go with another rack or does it work with a stage and rack together.

I have the guitar plugged in to 1 Kemper then come out of the direct out in to the input on Kemper 2 with constant latency active so no phasing issues happen.