First ever recording...

• Hi all,

I’ve recorded my first ever track - all guitars are via the Kemper and Studio One. Quite a steep learning curve, but happy with the end result!

Will be uploading more this week as well, as I’ve got a week off work. Constructive feedback is welcome :)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Trying to record some more tunes, and I've noticed the recorded sounds are more compressed and gainy than the sounds I'm getting via the monitors; any idea why that might be?

• Longer path involving more A/D and D/A conversions?

The lower the quality of your interface, the more-apparent this difference will be. Spend over $1000 US and you'll likely be able to send the signal through the A/D and D/A stages a dozen times consecutively before you notice anything. Spend $200 or less and a difference might be noticed after only a few, or even one trip. I'm generalising of course; there are exceptions in both price ranges.

This is assuming that you haven't inadvertently applied some sort of plugin processing that's degraded the signal.

• Longer path involving more A/D and D/A conversions?

The lower the quality of your interface, the more-apparent this difference will be. Spend over $1000 US and you'll likely be able to send the signal through the A/D and D/A stages a dozen times consecutively before you notice anything. Spend $200 or less and a difference might be noticed after only a few, or even one trip. I'm generalising of course; there are exceptions in both price ranges.

This is assuming that you haven't inadvertently applied some sort of plugin processing that's degraded the signal.

Don't think it's that - using a Focusrite 18i8 2nd Gen interface, and no plugins on the track.

Have been using the Kemper via SPDIF at 96kHz, but also tried 44.1 and 48.

• OK, just recorded a rough take on another song, and tried to get the levels of each instrument and vocals right before mixdown. Then using LANDR to create a master mix version - but I've no idea which is better!

Would you guys suggest verion 1 or 2?

VERSION 1:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

VERSION 2:

• Great recording again! Well done guitars and vocals :thumbup:8)

The mix is way better in my view than with your first attempt. Regarding the two versions I can not distinguish too much, haven't heard it really loud so far. Gut feeling is that Track 1 is a bit more transparent than track 2. But I can be trapped there...

Keep it up, good stuff mate!

• Very nice!!!

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user