Question to creating IRs with Kemper Cab Maker

• hey guys,

I have a very particular problem which I've been trying to resolve.

My aim is to create custom IRs at the moment I've been using the GGD Zilla SW to create a wav file. I love the tone I'm getting because it helps you create a mix of a number cabs which allows me to do similar things I would when I owned a helix and i was combining more than a single cab.

Since the cab maker does not like the exported file from the Zilla IR unit - I'm using my daw to covert it to proper 44/24bit. (upload the file to a track and just render as wav)

That's when I can suddenly use it with the cab maker but - the converted IR that the cab maker creates is super silent. It sounds like my amp is on 1 instead of 10 if I'd have to make a comparison to what it sounds like. It's distant, muffled, silent - nothing like the sound I'm getting.

I bet there must be a way to create these kemper friendly IRs otherwise everything by ownhammer or any other maker would act the same way.
    But they probably use kemper's internal features to capture the tone and split this accordingly so the IRs are a product of the kemper mimicing the tones.

Could it be that since kemper expect some involvement of the power amp which generates the print on some dB level, that simply exporting an IR from a 3rd party system does not provide the exact volume/level?

Anywho, if any of you had luck using these just let me know. I'd like to really take it to the next level since i really love the results from the zilla features.

thanks guys!

• Hi KRoll86 , I was having a similar issues with IRs I exported from GGD Zilla Studio Cabs as well.

I haven't any compatibility issues so far because if I remember correctly, you can choose the bit depth and settings for the exported IRs. If you're still having compatibility issues, I'd look into how to set the IRs to export it 44kHz, 24 bit.

And for converting them to be able to use in the Kemper, I believe in Rig Manager you can just drag the .wav files into your "presets" folder and they'll automatically convert to be used in the Kemper. I don't think you need the CabMaker software anymore but, I'm not 100% sure and I'll look into that for you. I'll post an update when I find out for sure for you :)

As for the GGD Zills Cabs IRs being too quiet when exported, I'm honestly not sure how to fix it when exporting or from the GGD plugin unfortunately. I don't have this problem with any IRs from any other IR makers in my Kemper. So I don't think that the way Kemper converts the IRs is a problem. I've been using a plugin called Mikko to basically make my own IRs, and the IRs I export from that program are the same volume as all other IRs in my Kemper and on my computer. For some reason I think that GGD Zilla Studio Cabs exports the IRs a few dB lower than usual or something. I've tried cranking the input, output, and different faders in GGD Zilla before exporting and it makes no difference. I emailed GGD a few times and haven't gotten a response in months so I gave up lol. The way I worked around it was just turning up the Rig Volume parameter for whichever profiles I was using GGD Zilla IRs with. Rig Volume is in the Rig section and I use it to even out the volumes of different profiles. That seemed to be the only work around I could find, sorry.

Hope this helps!