• Hi all

I am looking for recommendations for an attenuator for my Marshall 2525h from playing at home. Looking for a post covid band as a guitarist as I only sing in my other band so want to polish my skills at home.

I could use the Kemper but for live I want to leave the Kemper in the studio and take my amp.

Cost isn't an issue as I am looking at the Two Note Torpedo Reload as an option as I can then profile my amp too but I would like something smaller for gigs or low volume rehearsals.

Not to concerned by IRs but the Suhr Reactive Load IR looks good.

Cheers

Mike

• Besides the universal Ox Box there are also the Two Notes Captor X and the Boss Waza Tube amp expander. They can also act as a load box and you can record DI with them. I never played one, but I am interested because I still have a Koch tube amp that I like.

• The Ox seems massively expensive for what it is. It seems you whack a UA sticker on it. I agree half the price and I would be interested in one.

The Two Notes Reload intrigues me but there smaller load boxes are eater in Ohms so I have discounted them. The othw rthing was the Wall of Sound plugin 2as dreadful when I used it. Everytime I set the volume then change a patch it would just destroy my ears, I was not impressed at all.

Will look at the Boss Waza now and see what that's about.

Cheers guys

• I have used several in the last couple of years. The JetCity Jettenuator (the Bugera is a clone of it), was pretty good, but seemed to cut some high end. The best thing I bought was the Fryette Power Station 2. It is both a power amp, and also an attenuator, depending on which function you want to use. It's a great power amp, and also a great attenuator. It has switches that allow you to tweak the sound, and keep the high end. It also has presence and depth knobs which allow you to get a great sound while used as either a power amp or an attenuatior.

• Where's the Dug

Yeah I remember you saying you rated it. It may be the options I go with. Just put a few things up for sale to fund it as I don't mind buying gear but this is just to experiment so I like to recycle the cash.

Missed one on ebay for 450 last week.

Can I ask how you found Wall of Sound? I didn't like the fact if you disabled the preamp then hit a preset the volume jumped extremely.

Mike

• If you are looking to use it for live playing, Then I would recommend the Waza Expander. The FX and FX loop, plus midi, give it a leg up over other units, IMO.

• I was eyeing off the Tone King Ironman mini a while ago, didn’t eventuate but it would have been my pick.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Thank you all for the tips.

I have watched quite a few reviews and studio tests on YouTube for all the ones recommended and the Two Notes products really do stand out. This is not for live as I only sing live but if I do play a guitar live again I have a 2525h which is 20watt so would be full on most of the time anyway.

I have been testing the Wall of Sound again on a new track I am working on but using the Kemper, MBrit profiles with the cab off and I have to say I am impressed so far. I am not a fan of the Mbritt cab so I use an ownhammer Marshall 4x12 V30 and it sounds great on the Kemper, dialed in the same on Wall of Sound with only two cabs panned and it was enormous. It got rid of some of the bass in the Kemper and sounded like a mic'd cab.

This leaves me with 3 options now.

First is the Kemper with the Wall of Sound plugin. This will greatly depend on the CPU load in cubase. I would probably only use 2 cabs in 2 instances to get what I want but I want to see how it affects work flow. I also want to see how other profiles behave too as the cab is so much of the sound it may open up other options.

If the first goes well in regard to CPU load in Cubase then I need to decide if I want to use my amp with the Reload or stick with the Kemper. What I don't know, and seems to be a problem with the Reload, is if I am using all features at once (Di, attenuator and reamp) how will the Reload perform in regard to latency. So you are playing, recording the DI and sending the DI back to the reload and reamping back into another track with the wall of sound on can it cope? . From what I have read the latency is bad.

The third option is the Two Notes Studio. This would remove the need for the Wall of Sound but I would lose the reamp feature of the Kemper and the Reload. That may not be a bad thing as capturing the moment perfectly to me is more important than fixing timing issues.

Lots to consider. I will be spending tonight on the Wall of Sound product to see how it fits. I am hoping it works well as it's the cheapest and best option.

Cheers

Mike

• Doug

I actually took 4 tracks with a Di recorded and added two wall of sounds to each then copied those track about 20 times and the load was very low.

The only attraction to the studio is CPU load being off the computer. Apart from that, like all products, each do a bit of what I want. The reload does seem to be the winner for me as the WoS will do the cab stuff and I can purchase a JVM and crank it as I regret selling that amp. Along with my Silver Jubilee the Kemper can be used for other things, like profiling my amps using the Reload.

It's only a short drive to Liverpool bud, don't forget to pack the Reload lol.

Mike

• Well I took the plunge and ordered a Two Notes Reload.

After playing about with the WoS software it didn't use much CPU and I got some really good sounds so the big test will be this weekend. Plus whilst I was happy to pay for the studio I like the idea I can crank my amp with it too.

Not easy to find but managed to get one for £525 new.... Not bad so paid the extortionate amount for Saturday delivery.

So I'll be trying my amp with the Two Notes and comparing it to the Kemper. Then I will. Profile my amp and see how that compares.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Mike