Most high gain profiles sound too grainy when recording?

• I have it fixed at -6.0dB with no link to the Master Volume knob. Monitor and Direct Volume fixed to -12.0, again no link to the Master Volume knob. The latter only controls my headphone volume. Nothing else.

Never had any troubles with those settings. Some sound guys prefer a lower level. In that case I configure it down to -12 / -20.

When I'm driving a guitar cab (very rare occasions) then I link the Monitor Output to the Volume Knob. Similar level settings as mentioned above.

Finally: Yes, that setting can impact your sound halipino - it definitely makes sense to check if you are overloading any other inputs with this output level. Try to experiment a bit :)

• Thank you brother! I started poking around the forum and notice a bunch of other guys talking about a digital clipping that they can not tame. Not sure if it was you (?) someone was talking about an eq on the X channel at all times cutting some highs and lows... A few guys in this thread mentioned the eq as well, tricky situation I guess?

• Not sure if it was you (?) someone was talking about an eq on the X channel at all times cutting some highs and lows...

Yes, me. Meanwhile I am doing this all the time. But that has not much influence on the overall level. Not tricky :)

Any of your Input or Output LEDs on the Kemper turning to red? Regarding digital clipping: Yes, that's the worst and it impacts the sound massively.

• right on deadman42...
    Aww no red lining - just first initial reaction was some profiles sounded like metal grinding, not a nice smooth saturated type of overdrive that I'm after.

It's always a bit overwhelming at first learning new gear but with you and all the other guys helping out this kid is slowly understanding lol
    I will get there someday and maybe even be ale to help others :)

• halipino Another suggestion that might help with any harshness in profiles, is to experiment with the "Pure Cabinet" parameter. At 0, it's turned off and that's where I prefer it for high gain sounds personally. But many users on the forum use it to smooth out the high end fizz that's usually caused by mic placement and how it affects the sound. I think with the stock setting, it comes at 3.5 or something and it's on globally and you can change it from rig to rig I think.

I'm not sure if this will help or not but, it's definitely a parameter that's worth experimenting with and understanding because it's a powerful tool and unique feature that some Kemper users swear by and have on every profile.

HTH :)

• Fizziness is rare in clean profiles. You may have a problem in the interface. There are profiles out there with fizz and phase issues, but there are lots that sound great. If most sound bad to you .. I thought you had already listened to the Kemper directly, but now I think It may be a DAW issue or something.

I had a tc electronics konnekt 6 interface when I bought my kemper. No matter what, all profiles sounded too bright and fizzy. I wanted to use spdif for reamping so I sold that interface and bought another interface and no more too bright and fizzy sound. Well some fizz with some profiles. But hey, listen to raw guitar tracks made by well known producers/engineers. It's not uncommon with fizz or some whistling sounds that needs to be carved out. And some of them can sound less good on it own . And still, when all instruments in the mix is finished , the guitars sounds great. You can hear ppl sometimes complain that their vst drum plugin doesn't sound good enough. They don't know what they are talking about. The problem with drum plugins is not that they sound bad. On the contrary, they sound too good compared to how most real raw drums sounds like. But great mixed, and mostly today, at least in the metal genre, together with drum samples, the drums sounds amazing.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I had a tc electronics konnekt 6 interface when I bought my kemper. No matter what, all profiles sounded too bright and fizzy. I wanted to use spdif for reamping so I sold that interface and bought another interface and no more too bright and fizzy sound. Well some fizz with some profiles. But hey, listen to raw guitar tracks made by well known producers/engineers. It's not uncommon with fizz or some whistling sounds that needs to be carved out. And some of them can sound less good on it own . And still, when all instruments in the mix is finished , the guitars sounds great. You can hear ppl sometimes complain that their vst drum plugin doesn't sound good enough. They don't know what they are talking about. The problem with drum plugins is not that they sound bad. On the contrary, they sound too good compared to how most real raw drums sounds like. But great mixed, and mostly today, at least in the metal genre, together with drum samples, the drums sounds amazing.

Hi GearJocke. what IO did you invest in? I'm still using an old DIGI 002 (with what many say not so good Focus rite convertors ?) I'd hate to give up the flying faders when mixing but not sure what direction to go in regarding interfaces these days, haven't look at them in 12 years or so.

• I did get a focusrite but I wasn't too happy with the drivers but I did like firewire. That old pc more or less died and I sold that interface and bought a used spl crimson and a new pc. That was 4 1/2 years ago and still use it. But it all depends on your needs. Do you record more than yourself?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I did get a focusrite but I wasn't too happy with the drivers but I did like firewire. That old pc more or less died and I sold that interface and bought a used spl crimson and a new pc. That was 4 1/2 years ago and still use it. But it all depends on your needs. Do you record more than yourself?

No just me at home, I'd feel half the man without the automated faders I get from my 002 console. Hate using just the mouse for mixing.

• Have you tried listening thru the Kemper headphones or monitors connected to the Kemper itself, with no interface in the chain? If you have and there is little or no fizziness in many profiles then the problem is your interface and/or your DAW (output levels, SPDIF issues or whatever). I use SPDIF thru a Liquid Saphire that works OK, and monitors & headphones connected to the interface, but I think the headphones output of the Kemper is a tad, just a tad perhaps, better, mind you.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Ok, that sounds like you were experiencing output clipping. Be aware that the input sens settings can also lead to output clipping. Basically, input is much more forgiving than output on the Kemper in my experience.

• Ok, that sounds like you were experiencing output clipping. Be aware that the input sens settings can also lead to output clipping. Basically, input is much more forgiving than output on the Kemper in my experience.

Hi Per, thank you... :)
    the input sens eh??? ok I will look into that as well. still new to the Stage so yeah, it's got a lot under the hood to think about. All I ever worried about before was if my 20' cable was long enough to reach the end of the stage to hit the pedal board. lol