Profiling a rig - separating amp and cabinet

• Hi guys,

As I explained in the introduction thread, I am doing a review of the KPA for a local retailer here in New Zealand.

I've been reading through the documentation, and it tells me that once you have profiled your rig (a complete set of amp + cabinet), you are then free to mix and match the amp and cabinet with other stacks. How is that possible? I would have thought that once you profile a complete rig, you can't separate it, because all the KPA senses is whatever you input at the microphone, which is already amp + speaker combined.

Can someone help explain this to me? Sorry if it's a really basic thing which I have missed!

Cheers :)

• If I understand the feature correctly - the Kemper does not know what part of the sound comes from the cab, and whats colored by the amp. It can guess though, how the amp would sound without the cabinet, and how the cabinet colors the sound, and separate the two..

Someone once wrote on this forum, that he found all the clean amps sound the same, if you disable other features from the different rigs, and that he found this very disturbing. The response was, that as the Kemper has to guess every time you split a profiled rig, the further you edit a profile the more "incorrect" the sound will be - according to the reference setup..

Kemper made me proud to go digital.

• I've been reading through the documentation, and it tells me that once you have profiled your rig (a complete set of amp + cabinet), you are then free to mix and match the amp and cabinet with other stacks. How is that possible?

How is it possible the Kemper sounds/feels/responds like a tube amp if it doesn't have tubes in it...we don't know that either, all we know is it does.

Mixing and matching cabs/mics works, why it works or how it works is for DSP scientists to figure out and guitarists to enjoy.
    The cab/mics part of the KPA equation is the best part of the CK technology & way more advanced than the regular "IRs" being used by other digital modellers.

In short...if you're doing a review for a Science magazine then that's one thing, but if it's a guitarist magazine then you can't explain how CK did it, you can just conclude, or not, that he succeeded, or didn't. :)

Make a profile.
    Then press/hold the cab button, save the cab.
    Now mix and match...try a "Tills" cab with another profile and you'll hear, it works, and it works extremely well.

IMHO

• Someone once wrote on this forum, that he found all the clean amps sound the same,

Try a bunch of different clean tube amps in a music store through the same cabinet, they'll sound very similar.
    We've tested various clean amps through the same cab, it's interesting how a DrZ sounds pretty similar to a Fender Deluxe Reverb when played through the same cab..
    The reason is, about 70% of the tone comes from the cab....CK and Cliff from Fractal say the same thing.

• Don't just try Tills cabs. There are some great 1x12 cabs out there. Try Heater's 65 Deluxe or AND44's Fender cab. I got a great sound mixing AND44's Fender Twin with the Heater cab.

Vintage amp obsessive

• Haha, you're quite entitled to your opinion, but personally I'm not one for the magic "black box" explanation. I'm an engineer by trade and so I wanna know how stuff works!!

• Don't just try Tills cabs.

I like the Tills cabs too, but all your rigs will start to sound alike if that's all you use. If you're looking for the tone of a particular amp then I think you're best to stick with the original as profiled in most cases. YMMV.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Don't just try Tills cabs. There are some great 1x12 cabs out there. Try Heater's 65 Deluxe or AND44's Fender cab. I got a great sound mixing AND44's Fender Twin with the Heater cab.

I don't know what the "Heater" cab is, how could I?
    I've started two threads about sharing cabs...didn't get a response.
    We all have different cabs under different names, except for the AND44 and Tills cabs.

Share your cabs with me so I can load them.

Tills cabs are just an example I used to explain to the OP that mixing and matching cabs/mics.