Amps don't matter...

• ....not so much as us guitarists like to believe. I wrote that in a post yesterday or so. Cabs matter more. Maybe more commercial profilers should give us more cab options rather than more amps and also stop believe in the amp myth. :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Nothing really new there . Cabs make a big difference sonically 8)

The same hassle / struggle when you´re mastering your recordings

and they sound strange and weird on every other stereo gear ...

( in the car, in your living room, at work, at whatever :pinch: )

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Maybe not for you or me but for some it will an eye opener. :)

Henry David Thoreau

• I disagree totally, CAB is the overall output eq curve, AMP is dynamics, response and colour of the sound. In studio you can push your limits and make an 1x12 cab sound like a 4x12 with good eq processing, but you cannot get the reaction from a breaking point fender deluxe in a mesa boogie mark IV, thats just silly.

Also, you are comparing 2 high gain amps with very similar amp structure, maybe same tubes, who really knows?

Will a 4x12 greeback celestions cab make your twin sound like a marshall? no it wont, thats why its always a 50/50, if you like a tight sound, you go to a 2x12, you want a big sound with more low end, you go 4x12, you want a very focused mid sound, 1x12 is where its at. The nuances between speakers give you spikes and cuts here and there, but it is in the end, an eq for the overall output.

The answer is 42

• Hmm, like most things, to make a point its taken to the extreme.

Do amps make a difference? Of course they do. A fender twin will never sound the same as an ENGL regardless of the cab.

Do Cabs have a significant impact on the end sound? Yes they do and I didn't realise this myself until I switched to FRFR.

Cabs tend to smooth the sound out and can make high gain amps sound similar. I think the variation between cabs is also not that massive. Construction, open back, configuration, ohms, speakers all have an impact but to varying degrees.

Certainly interesting and differences probably higher than I'd thought...

• I disagree totally, CAB is the overall output eq curve, AMP is dynamics, response and colour of the sound. In studio you can push your limits and make an 1x12 cab sound like a 4x12 with good eq processing, but you cannot get the reaction from a breaking point fender deluxe in a mesa boogie mark IV, thats just silly.

Also, you are comparing 2 high gain amps with very similar amp structure, maybe same tubes, who really knows?

Will a 4x12 greeback celestions cab make your twin sound like a marshall? no it wont, thats why its always a 50/50, if you like a tight sound, you go to a 2x12, you want a big sound with more low end, you go 4x12, you want a very focused mid sound, 1x12 is where its at. The nuances between speakers give you spikes and cuts here and there, but it is in the end, an eq for the overall output.

Michael Landau: “People go insane comparing different amps… The cabinet and speakers make far more difference”

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• Put steak into a meat grinder, get hamburger. Put pork in, get...um porkburger? Add all the spices you want but the pork will not taste like hamburger. Won't change its essence. Put a Fender into any cab and you will get Fenderburger. You won't get Mesaburger. All parts of the signal chain matter but a cab can't change the essence of the amp. It's all in the sausage making. At least that's how my earbuds have experienced the issue.

• What many attribute to the cab is the cabinet, micing, room, preamp and more. All accumulated is a large part but none alone is greater than the amp.

What you say I will take with a pinch of salt since you're biased as a vendor. :|

Henry David Thoreau