How to reset your Kemper to factory defaults (I solved all my problems) PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES

• After doing a bit of research this is the procedure that seems to work to cure all aliasing, output, gain, noise, pop, clicks and other misc odd things. I believe the reason for this is extremely simple although CK will most assuredly need to verify. The problem is simply corrupted system settings and seems to occur out of the box. Simply upgrading firmware does not fix the corruption nor does deleting rigs.

The symptoms my Kemper was exhibiting was such:

1. Out of the box, first thing I noticed was poping/clicking every so often, I was using XLRs at the time. (I believe this indicates you have corruption)
    1. SPDIF levels extremely loud, clipping on every preset into my audio interface, my SPDIF was set to slave to the Kemper and 44.1khz.
    2. Sound was slightly odd sounding, never could put my finger on why
    3. XLR outputs outputted a very gainy signal which was NOT clipping my interface, again, subtle but odd and hard to deal with in terms of gain levels on my interface, seemed i could never set the Kemper's volume levels correctly for certain profiles
    4. Noise levels got extremely high and I thought my guitar was broken. Eventually I realized I could literally tap the tip of my gutiar cable on a table and hear it easily through my speakers.
    5. odd high note aliasing tones which people are posting about

I did a system reset, midi reset and finally gave up, was ready to send the unit back. In desperation I performed the Flash Memory wipe as such:

1. Degrade firmware to 1.04,
    I believe latest 1.08 does not allow getting into the system maintenance menu

Erase the internal flash memory

Note: ALL the rigs will be erased during this procedure!! ( credit to billruppert)

• Switch the main knob to off
    • Hold the left/top soft-key above the LCD
    • while still holding this key - switch KPA to tuner
    • Maintenance Module will be started
    • In the 'Maintenance' menu goto 'Memory'
    • Use Memory FormatFlash and InitFlash
    • Check if the KPA works (booting, tuner)
    • Check all the KPA settings

I will add, go into the SYSTEM block and hit Factory Rigs right most soft button. This restores all factory defaults.

After this your Kemper will be fresh, like new, and more importantly have cleaned out FLASH memory and should work flawlessly! :thumbup: :love:
    All my problems have been solved meaning no noise, no popping, gain controls are perfect, output levels are perfect, high note aliasing noise gone. Maybe this will help someone else reslove their Kemper issues.

Edited 3 times, last by mikeb ().

• Wow, well spotted. This must be random and would also explain why a lot of people is not experiencing the same problems....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Mikeb, you should send a mail to support with this exact procedure. Maybe they can retrospectively check what's going on....

Wow, well spotted. This must be random and would also explain why a lot of people is not experiencing the same problems....

My thoughts exactly.

I will do this, I did in fact send Kemper a few e-mails about my SPDIF clipping but we never figured out what it could have been. Of course now it works perfectly.. so I should definitely let them know.

:thumbup:

Edited once, last by mikeb ().

• Does anyone know if it's still possible to use profiles created under Firmware from 1.08 , if you downgrade the KPA to 1.04?

If 1.04 is more stable, I'd love to swap back, but not if I can't used my favorite profiles, some of which are newer.

Also, has anyone tried this procedure, then went back to 1.08? Do the fixes remain?

• If 1.04 is more stable, I'd love to swap back, but not if I can't used my favorite profiles, some of which are newer.

I'd be very surprised if 1.04 is more stable than 1.08. The Kemper folks have fixed a lot of problems in those releases ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I can report that I spent yesterday downgrading my KPA firmware from 1.08 Beta to 1.04. I ran through the steps mentioned above. Didn't notice much difference, but the KPA did sound a little fatter at v1.04.

Of course, a quick turn of the volume knob reminded me why I upgraded from v1.04. The volume settings were jumping all over the place.

So, I upgraded back to the v1.08 release version, and all is well. The KPA does seem to have a slightly hotter output but seems a little thinner with the v1.08 firmware. It's real slight though. Could be my imagination.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend flashing your firmware more than necessary. Firmware flashing should only be done when absolutely necessary, like a new upgrade, or if you have a problem. One wrong move, or bad timing on a power outage and you could kill your KPA.

• I had some recordings of stuff done with one of my own profiles on 1.04. I used the same profile in 1.08 just now and it sounded the same. I wonder if 1.05 was the problem. I never downloaded that o/s.

Vintage amp obsessive

• I had a lot of hiss/noise and 'background digital noise' on clean rigs, and also had quite a low output level going out via XLRs to stereo Mackie SRM350s. Was even considering going back to my heavy old JVM410. This was on 1.0.8.

I did a factory reset (hold top left soft button when switching from OFF to TUNER) and reset and intialised the flash memory. Then loaded a selection of rigs from the exchange (all Till Schleicher's rigs - thank you Till, they are great).
    Noise has now gone, and output level is WAY louder - was wondering why the Mackies sounded so quiet, now I know!

So a reset seems to help even without going back from 1.0.8 to 1.0.4. Not sure it was the flash memory reset, having less rigs in memory, or maybe one of the rigs was corrupted - who knows! But it worked for me :)

• I had a lot of hiss/noise and 'background digital noise' on clean rigs, and also had quite a low output level going out via XLRs to stereo Mackie SRM350s. Was even considering going back to my heavy old JVM410. This was on 1.0.8.

I did a factory reset (hold top left soft button when switching from OFF to TUNER) and reset and intialised the flash memory. Then loaded a selection of rigs from the exchange (all Till Schleicher's rigs - thank you Till, they are great).
    Noise has now gone, and output level is WAY louder - was wondering why the Mackies sounded so quiet, now I know!

So a reset seems to help even without going back from 1.0.8 to 1.0.4. Not sure it was the flash memory reset, having less rigs in memory, or maybe one of the rigs was corrupted - who knows! But it worked for me :)

good to hear! I wasn't sure if 1.08 had the same flash reset but since it does, nice! :thumbup:

• Chris, I think I remember someone having a similar issue (phasey sound) a couple of months ago. If I recall correctly, a simple KPA reset solved it for him...

Try a simple reset first...
    (meanwhile, I'm checking the "search" function to see if I can find the thread...)

BTW, what FW version are you on and how many rigs are on your KPA currently (ballpark)? Did you do something specific, or did it just start like this (for no apparent reason)?

• Ok, it seems, that I remembered a different post.
    But here's something else. I dunno, but it might help for you as well:
    pulse or aliasing noise
    Apparantly, his prob was not a "phasey" issue, but more a "pulse or aliasing noise" which appeared to be gone after a system reset (plus restore from a backup).

In any case, please contact support about this.
    I would just try a system reset and see if it helps eihter way.

• Chris, I think I remember someone having a similar issue (phasey sound) a couple of months ago. If I recall correctly, a simple KPA reset solved it for him...

Try a simple reset first...
    (meanwhile, I'm checking the "search" function to see if I can find the thread...)

BTW, what FW version are you on and how many rigs are on your KPA currently (ballpark)? Did you do something specific, or did it just start like this (for no apparent reason)?

Schneidas thanks very much brother, A reset did the trick all is good now :thumbup: Now give me your beta version of fw 1.09 :whistling: 8o