Are profiles "Lossless"

• The science of "Lossless" frequencies when dealing with digital audio recordings is really beyond me but I know it's of the utmost importance when it comes to capturing a recording and especially when sharing it.

So I'm curious. I just opened rig manager and clicked/dragged all of my performances into a folder I created entitled "Performance backups". Is this a lossless method of backing profiles and performances? If my unit were to crash and I reset it or got a new one would this be the same quality as doing a profiler backup via USB Stick?

Quick disclaimer, I may be using the term "Lossless" incorrectly but I think you'll understand what I'm getting at.

• The science of "Lossless" frequencies when dealing with digital audio recordings is really beyond me but I know it's of the utmost importance when it comes to capturing a recording and especially when sharing it.

So I'm curious. I just opened rig manager and clicked/dragged all of my performances into a folder I created entitled "Performance backups". Is this a lossless method of backing profiles and performances? If my unit were to crash and I reset it or got a new one would this be the same quality as doing a profiler backup via USB Stick?

Quick disclaimer, I may be using the term "Lossless" incorrectly but I think you'll understand what I'm getting at.

I once got so drunk at a gig that I woke up the next morning and realized I'd lost my guitar. I don't think the Kemper is going to help you with that. :)

I have no idea what technical voodoo goes on inside the profiler, but my understanding (which could easily resemble the byproduct from the business end of a bull) is that these tones are generated by algorithms. When people talk about lossless, it's typically in reference to "lossy" compressed audio file formats like mp3 versus the lossless wav format. If you were dealing with a sampler that might be a factor, but I don't believe it's a factor with a Kemper since it's not storing sampled audio files but rather profiles that tell the hardware what to do.

If I'm off in the weeds, the more educated will surely correct me.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I once got so drunk at a gig that I woke up the next morning and realized I'd lost my guitar. I don't think the Kemper is going to help you with that. :)

I have no idea what technical voodoo goes on inside the profiler, but my understanding (which could easily resemble the byproduct from the business end of a bull) is that these tones are generated by algorithms. When people talk about lossless, it's typically in reference to "lossy" compressed audio file formats like mp3 versus the lossless wav format. If you were dealing with a sampler that might be a factor, but I don't believe it's a factor with a Kemper since it's not storing sampled audio files but rather profiles that tell the hardware what to do.

If I'm off in the weeds, the more educated will surely correct me.

I’ve always thought of the kemper as a Amp synthesizer in a way. The way the technology works and how good a engineer captures the sound is the secret in the sauce.

Just crossed my mind that moving profiles around from device to computer, or emailing profiles could degrade the file ?‍♂️

• Just crossed my mind that moving profiles around from device to computer, or emailing profiles could degrade the file ?‍♂️

No more degrading than copying a digital file from one drive to the next. This isn't like ripping a CD to MP3 and 'losing' data as a part of the conversion. That's not what's happening at all. This is more like taking a Word/Excel/Powerpoint file and moving it to one computer or another.

Provided both systems use the same version (in case of the KPA, firmware) - there is zero loss of audio integrity or features.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I still use some 2012 Rigs without a problem. They have been through dozens of backups/restores/OS Updates/Rig Manager versions.

This is not an issue.

No of course not. Why someone would even start to think that is beyond me :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Just crossed my mind that moving profiles around from device to computer, or emailing profiles could degrade the file ?‍♂️

When in doubt, ask the question. That's certainly what I do. It's the only way to keep up with things in our tech oriented world.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10