Junior Kemper User

• Hi Guys,

I received my Kemper Powerhead about 3 weeks ago and went through the manual.

I am still waiting for my Kemper Kabinet which has been delayed 3 times already so in the meantime I am using my old 2X12 Marshall 1922 cab. I went through this forum a lot and clearly understand that this guitar cab will color the sound and make it difficult for the different rigs to show their specificities efficiently.

But I have not understood whether I should plug the guitar cab into "speaker output" or "monitor output" . It does sound better when plugged in "speaker output" and more powerfull as well. When plugged into the monitor output it looks like master volume barely increases the volume.

Also I figured that while waiting for the Kemper Kab, the best way to appreciate the profiles would be with headphones. I own quite cheap AKG K92. When using headphones , the overdriven sounds are quite bad, and whether I turn "monitor cab off" on or off, the sound does not change at all. Am I doing anything wrong ? Is my relative disapointment due to the bad headphones?

I have no doubt that I will end up loving the kemper.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Julien from Paris

• Salut Julien! ;)

As for your first question: definitely plug your cab into the speaker output. The monitor output doesn’t feature the poweramp and cannot drive a cab properly.

As for your second question: Well, monitor cab on/off doesn’t matter as the headphone out always mirrors the main-output.

So regarding 'bad' sounding overdrive sounds I'd blame either your headphones or perhaps you’re not that experienced listening to an overdriven sound via headphones which can get spikey and harsh at times.

• I don't think it was a DI profile as I thought distorted sounds were not so good in different profiles...

Anyway I'll keep improving and eventually try other headphones.

Thanks for your help guys !

• Bonjour!

Personally I've never had a good sound out of headphones - I know it must be frustrating waiting!!!

Hopefully you can get a good sound via your cab.

I wouold suggest if you haven;t already, loading RM and using that to browse Rig Exchange. I also found the latest Bert M pack free download from Kemper is very good!

• Thanks ! I have actually already downladed some profiles frome tonejunkie and mbritt which I quite like with the marshall cab.

But honestly for now they sound nothing like on the youtube demo from these guys. Also within the same pack, I cannot really tell the difference from one profile to the other ( due to my cab messing up the profiled cabs).

And as i said before using headphones is not so satisfying.

Conclusion : Can't wait for the Kemper Kab to arrive :)

• What I have found:

Cabs colour the sound massively ( as you are finding).

The KPA is massively sensitive to all parts of the signal chain so you won;t always get it to sound like the videos. In fact I'll re-phrase that....all parts of the signal chain affect the sound, I've only noticed that since getting the KPA...