Analog vs SPDIF - worth it?

• Hi everyone - just bought a Focusrite 6i6 to go with new Kemper.

I was playing a Marshall CODE digital amp into Reaper via simple USB & loved it. Obviously Kemper is a huge step up.

I've heard differing opinions on straight output into Focusrite - sone saying SPDIF & some saying there's a tiny difference between that & analog that's almost indiscernable.

What's opinion on here? I'll be playing metal btw, both bass & guitars into Reaper.

• The difference is

SPDIF - the digital signal that the Kemper generates sent directly into your Interface with no conversion (other than sample rate).

Analogue - the digital signal that the Kemper generates converted to analogue (via the main outputs) then passed to your interface and converted to digital.

2 rounds of analogue / digital conversion for the signal. That's the difference. And you can use a single cable for stereo with SPDIF.

• i have to admit I don’t notice any real audible difference between Analog and SPDIF signals. Although SPDIF should be better in theory the difference is minimal. However, SPDIF is VERY convenient especially if you are reamping.

one thing to bear in mind though is that of you record at anything other than 44.1k SPDIF introduces additional latency which may need to corrected in the DAW.

• Answering the OP. Sorry for the delay; I had to wait (don't ask), and I'll check back in tomorrow:

Yes, there is a tiny difference, and yes, it's almost-indiscernible... or, more to the point, almost-discernible. In the real world and for all practical intents and purposes, the two signals sound identical.

IMHO if analogue is convenient, just go with it. I will be.

• So much more convienent with spdif. Well that's my opnion. One in and one out. Set and forget.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I use it purely as it makes swapping from playing normally to reamping a matter of turning a knob.

I can't tell any difference in the sound and if I could and found it to be a case of better and worse, I'd consider my interface garbage. Your converters should not be degrading the signal to the point where it makes it sound bad.

• Better connect them both. Depending on your kemper version this might allow you to use the Kemper as spdif slave without crackles. Just more convenient.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• S/PDIF is only 2 channels, though, right? So you can't record a stereo wet signal and a DI with one S/PDIF cable alone.

Correct. I record a mono DI and a mono stack signal. Then apply stereo effects later.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• same here. Mono DI plus Mono Stack. I never record guitars as stereo tracks at source. If you want to do this though you can combine SPDIF and analog. One example would be to send the DI signal as analog with a stereo SPDIF. There is a great video on the Recording settings for the output menu on the Kemper Website and Youtube which covers a range of possible scenarios.

• On my interface there seems to be no difference in quality and maybe even a bit less latency with the analogues inputs. What works best for me is sending dry stack mono signal to Input 1 of interface and DI to Input 2 of interface. Through SPDIF, I send full wet stereo signal (which is what I'm monitoring with) but I rarely record the latter unless I want to bake in reverb/delay/effect (which is not very often). I can just choose which input I want/need in the DAW depending on what's being recorded.

• That's exactly what I'll do, Jed, except it'll be the TS main outs for the wet and I've always made my DI inputs on desks odd numbers (channel 1 in this case, with the Stack signal going to channel 2).

I figured long ago that if a desk has only one direct-guitar input and there's no DI box available, it's almost 100% likely it'll be situated on channel 1. If it has two, they'll be on channels 1 and 2, and so on.

• Interesting observation: seems like most people don't record reverb and delay from their Kemper. I get why, but for me personally, Kemper verbs and delays are much better than any plugins I have. But I also play mostly space-y, heavy post-metal stuff, so I like very lush and full time-based effects.