Option to allow "Reverse Wire" an Expression Pedal.

• Erm, I'm pretty sure you can already do this without reverse wiring...you just set morph to reduce rather that increase gain....never tried it as I just switch morph ( I never want the in between settings so no point for me using an expression..) but I assume you can?

• Erm, I'm pretty sure you can already do this without reverse wiring...you just set morph to reduce rather that increase gain....never tried it as I just switch morph ( I never want the in between settings so no point for me using an expression..) but I assume you can?

You are correct about how you create the base profile as starting off at full gain, the problem is that by default, the base sound is always in the heel down position, which is counterintuitive to how a volume pedal before an amp would behave. Hence the only current solution being to reverse wire the pedal to have the base sound in toe down position.

• Im really confused...

This isn't a volume pedal so the analogy doesn't work. You'd normally back off the volume to clean up but your base sound is the gain sound.

In any case, I just don;t see the problem, you have to set the morph values so just save them in that order which is effectively what you are asking for. As far as I can see there are no default values, you set Morph up to do what you want.

You could also just use the volume function to have a similar effect.

I also suggest if you are not using in between stages, its pointless using an expression anyway, when you can just hit a switch.

Anyway, perhaps I'm missing something as I don;t use morph with an expressions pedal..

• I think the ideal solution would be if you can save the pedal position as part of the saved performance slot.

Why must it always recall in the heel position?

Why??????

It makes it impossible to use morph to reduce the gain on a distorted profile unless you push the pedal up to reduce gain - completely unintuitive

Suggest adding a setting within each performance slot:

Recall morph pedal at:

- Heel (default)

- Toe

- Saved Position

• I want the base sound to be distortion because the Kemper always defaults to the base sound when you load a preset, and most of the time distortion is what I'm going to. For me, that means my base sound should be toe down, but Kemper always has base sound as heel down. So I had to reverse wire my expression pedal to get that. Besides, I converted a Dunlop High Gain volume pedal into an expression pedal and the weight of it defaults it to toe down all the time anyway.

Using volume for this doesn't quite get it because that's just reducing gain, but it doesn't re EQ it to sound clean the way I want it. Morphing allows me to clean it up and EQ it the way I want.

I do use the switch to morph to clean sometimes which is great because it saves a prest slot and it keeps my effects the same. And yes, there are times when I'm starting clean and slowly bringing it up to full distortion, other times I'm playing in between, other times I"m pulling out just a little bit of gain. Nuance can be very expressive!

• Hiya,

why don‘t U simply use crossover cables? I once had sort of the same problem and made a cable that goes from trs on one side to rts on the other end. At least with this trick I was able to control my G-Force via the Midi Raider and the Hex-Expression-Pedal of Rocktron that was different than most pedals.

Just my 2 cents.

• Hiya,

why don‘t U simply use crossover cables?

I thought of that, but I have a workbench with a soldering iron in my studio ready to go, so it wasn't a big deal to unsolder and resolder a couple of wires. I have another M-Audio expression pedal that I put it on a switch so I can reverse it at the push of a button, but a software option would be even better.

• I can sort of see how Heel and toe could work. However, if I understand correctly (which is by no means guaranteed 🤣), I don’t believe that is possible as the KPA doesn’t have a way of knowing where the pedal actually is when you select the new rig. Therefore, selecting a new rig would load the sound you want but the pedal may be sitting in a different physical position from the position the saved settings expect to see. you would need to move the pedal to “notify” the KPA of it’s physical position. This would create what Burkhard often refers to as a logical conflict.

even if it did save the the pedal position and was able to read the position of the pedal when changing rigs you could easily have lots of issues changing to a new rig with the pedal in the wrong position. The KPA would read the “wrong” pedal position and interpret this as the sound you want which could be very embarrassing depending on settings.

• What your suggesting would be to "recall current position", while that would possibly be another useful option, the suggestions I was offering would be to recall the morph state to a saved position, that being heel (currently the only option) toe or the pedal position when the option was saved.

I can't imagine these options causing any logical conflicts, but I've never seen any desire for, or argument against from Kemper.

Being left handed, rolling off the volume to reduce gain isn't really an option, as most left handed guitars have audio taper pots wired in reverse which effectively makes them on/off switches.

Currently I am pushing towards toe on dirty profiles, and pushing towards heel on clean profiles to back off the gain, being that most often I am drinking whilst playing guitar (and sometimes singing) this may be too much for my poor brain to handle

Backing off the gain by pushing towards heel is the logical solution, I imagine this would just take some desire and software tinkering on Kemper's part to make happen.

Currently it requires custom cables or re-soldering pedals, and then your stuck with a reversed wired pedal for all applications

• What your suggesting would be to "recall current position", while that would possibly be another useful option, the suggestions I was offering would be to recall the morph state to a saved position, that being heel (currently the only option) toe or the pedal position when the option was saved.

i understand what you meant about the two extremes (toe and heel) and agree they should work well enough without conflict. However, the third option “at saved position” that confused me. I took that to imply that you were suggesting that the rig could be saved with the base state being somewhere in the middle of the pedal travel - thereby giving you the ability to increase or decrease from the saved position. That would be totally unworkable in my opinion. From your reply I take it I misinterpreted the “at saved position” option.

• In reality I would be happy if the "recall at toe" option became available, that's something I believe a lot of people would use. The recall at saved position I could see being interesting in that you could recall a rig with a crunch sound and then have the ability to push it into a lead sound or clean purely with the morph pedal. Someone may find a musical use for this.

It would simply require a performance slot to recall a rig with the morph pedal value saved at any value within the 0~127 region.

Currently the only option is zero.

The Kemper would ignore the physical position of the morph pedal until it is moved, as it does now.

I just thought as long as I'm asking for more treats for the Kemper, it couldn't hurt asking for some extra flavours 🍦🍧🍨

• In reality I would be happy if the "recall at toe" option became available, that's something I believe a lot of people would use. The recall at saved position I could see being interesting in that you could recall a rig with a crunch sound and then have the ability to push it into a lead sound or clean purely with the morph pedal. Someone may find a musical use for this.

i totally agree. I can definitely see a musical use for it. However, I think there could be issues with pedal position being interpreted/ignored. As you suggested, the KPA could ignore the position Until the pedal is physically moved, as it does now. This might be OK for Volume but I could envisage some really embarrassing scenarios if morph is controlling something else.

This might not be a great example as I’m just think on hoof but you can probably see what I am getting at.

Imagine you have the morph pedal set to control gain. The pedal position is saved as mid point and the gain range reduces to 0 at heel and 10 at toe. Pedal is at toe but hasn’t been touched since switching to this rig. You hit a sustaining chord which you want to clean up as it decays before entering a clean passage. You want to morph from crunch to clean so you start moving the pedal from toe to heel but the KPA now sees the pedal as 127 and immediately jumps to full on gain for a split second before reducing towards the original stored position then eventually starts to clean up as intended. Now imagine that morph isn’t just controlling gain but also adds a big 800ms delay with say 5 or 6 repeats as you move toward toe position. At the stored position there is no delay. As you move past the mid travel toward heel a chorus gets added. As soon as you start moving the pedal from toe position the sound instantly jumps to full gain and big delay with multiple repeats. Even though you move the pedal quickly down towards the middle to get back to the base sound 5 repeats of the massive gain sound are now thundering out of the PA over the top ove you clean chorused picked arpeggio.

• I'm hearin' ya, there's definitely times where using morph like this could lead to trouble.

But this is exactly how it works now, when you select a rig, if the morph pedal isn't physically at heel you get a sudden jump in the morph state going from zero to the actual pedal poition before it starts following the pedal position, the potential for this calamity already exists.