Power Amp Recommendations

• I have the Powerhead version that I bought 6 months ago or so. I run it into a 2x12 Mesa cabinet. So far I’ve not been 100% satisfied with the built in power amp when using a real guitar cab (not FRFR). Every time I play a real tube amp I feel like something is just missing on the output side of things with the Kemper.

Is there anyone with experience using the powerhead but uses a 3rd party power amp instead?

I’m thinking about maybe a Fryette Power Station 2? Maybe areal tube amp (even with slight coloring) might give me the oomph and that feel that’s missing.

• This is a common complaint made and one of the reasons the Kone has been introduced....to get a better "amp in the room".

A different SS amp will make very little difference, a valve amp might as the power amp imparts some colour ( depending on the amp, gain applied etc).. but...I certainly would not start chasing a Valve amp power amp just yet for various reasons, namely you are adding more variation/colour etc. more gear etc.

The point is the KPA is not a valve amp ( I know, obvious) but doesn't try to be. Its focus is on the whole signal chain so arguably its more geared towards the FOH sound. As a result I have personally focused on that and not got stressed about any lack on Umph as its only for backline - this is a mindset change because the focus was always previously on backline because that was the start of the miked sound. With the KPA this is not the case as you go direct out.

Can you get an amp in the room sound? Yes I think you can but you might need to re-visit your profiles. You are effectively reverse engineering the profile process but removing the cab and mike colour to then put through a real cab.

It does it pretty well and I was always fairly happy with my sound through a guitar cab but you also might need to make more adjustments e.g. use Direct or merged profiles etc,

My comments are very generic of course but I hope that helps in some way...

• I only use Merged or Direct profiles when using my cab in the room...monitor output off (i.e. no cab sim). I just feel my tone is missing that feeling and I've had a Kemper Kabinet and didn't like it at all. There's enough pros out there using a KPA with real cabs, even as backline that I'm sure they're using something other or better than the powerhead amp, and aren't just blasting cab volume for the sake of backline noise...they probably have some dialed in tones too even if FOH is getting the full simulated feed.

• I only use Merged or Direct profiles when using my cab in the room...monitor output off (i.e. no cab sim). I just feel my tone is missing that feeling and I've had a Kemper Kabinet and didn't like it at all. There's enough pros out there using a KPA with real cabs, even as backline that I'm sure they're using something other or better than the powerhead amp, and aren't just blasting cab volume for the sake of backline noise...they probably have some dialed in tones too even if FOH is getting the full simulated feed.

I'm not a pro but I've been gigging live with the KPA for 6 years, I do about 40 a year. I think I had a pretty good dialled in tone via a cab but that tone was naff FOH which shifted my focus.

If you want to add a valve amp, then do it...to me its a retrograde step but if you really can;t get "that" sound there fair enough - you are not the only one.

I'm moving to less of my own monitor i.e. via IEM's and PA monitors. As you probably know, Trivium have moved to no backline so its less of an issue for Pros as 99% use IEM's.

Each to their own..