Kemper Recording / Stereo and Pedals?

• Hi everybody,

I am a producer/songwriter and recently started to take my guitar learning and recording more seriously.

I've bought a kemper profiler (toaster) last year and I am incredibly happy about the purchase. But, there is something very intriguing about buying outboard pedals for like distortion, reverb, modulation etc etc. I must say that I'm not a 100% fan of the distortion pedals in the kemper. Also the world of pedals is sooo much bigger than the 'pedals' that kemper is offering.

I haven't bought any pedals though, yet, because I've got a pretty specific question, regarding recording guitars with a kemper.

As you know, the kemper let's you use mono fx pedals in front of the Amp section. After the amp it offers a couple more slots for Stereo FX.

This is where I'm asking myself; if you want to use a nice chorus or reverb, don't you want this to be Stereo? In other words, are you limited to using kemper Fx only? Because you cannot run a Stereo signal into the kemper.

As a producer I prefer stereo reverb, delay, chorus etc.. but, I feel like a lotttt of guitar players are running his/her pedals in mono, as I don't see a stereo amp setups that often.

But does that mean that guitars are often recorded with Mono FX instead of Stereo FX?
    Or is this a live/studio type of difference?

Aynway, any insights/thoughts about this are very welcome

• Couple of comments:

• Personally I don't get the OD pedal need. I use pure amp distortion and can get all the gain flavours I need from the choice of amps. However the rumour is the next development area for Kemper is OD pedals and so this might get answered soon.
    • I think most people put effects on after, so try to record as dry as possible, as this gives flex later.
    • Its more about pre and post the amp stack rather than just stereo
    • Im not sure many people record in true stereo, rather they will multi track guitars. I've always recorded mono but with multi track I then use pan to create the widening effect. The exception is using stereo effects but again you can copy a mono track and apply a stereo effect across those tracks ( I think - I'm not an engineer, I just do basic recording)

Hope that helps...