Live vs. recording profiles

• I finally got to take my new Profiler Stage to the band rehearsal room today. Up until today I've just been using it to record and play through studio monitors.

First off, holy shit, this thing continues to amaze me. It sounded like a real amp with my Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and 2x12 cab.

The interesting thing is that I tried tons of different profiles, and the one I liked best for high gain (Top Jimi Friedman JJ100) was one I thought sounded just ok for recording. My recording favorites also sounded good, but the JJ100 was so dynamic, with all the right overtones and touch sensitivity. Anyone else have that experience, where a profile that sounds bad in one situation comes alive in another?

• Awesome!

I've done FRFR for years (PA/DXR10/XiTone/Bose L1) and they all do well live.

Now I have a Kabinet with SD 700, and it feels/sounds every bit as good as my Avatar 2x12 with V30s.

• Awesome!

I've done FRFR for years (PA/DXR10/XiTone/Bose L1) and they all do well live.

Now I have a Kabinet with SD 700, and it feels/sounds every bit as good as my Avatar 2x12 with V30s.

Nice. I've thought about getting a Kabinet for home jamming. Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to the whole Fletcher Munson curve thing. Just that some profiles that didn't quite have the character and fullness I want when recording sounded phenomenal when cranked up to ear bleeding volumes.

• While Fletcher Munson (as you already mentioned) certainly is part of the equation, I think even more important is that you'll rarely play right at the edge of physical feedback while you record at home. In the practice room you crank it up and the physical interaction between room sound and guitar strings makes it a much different experience ... even before the actual feedback starts.