Peavey XXX profiled

• I added three higher gain profiles tonight from the Peavey XXX. I did one that is a crunch setting and it has a little of the JTM vibe. The other two were on the higher gain channel. One is darker and one is brighter using the body and edge controls to go from one to the other. I used one of Tills cabs to liven one up a little otherwise they are just as they profiled, no tweaks.

• What did you do about the XXX's built in noise gate? When I tried to profile mine the Kemper detected the noise gate and the resulting profile was not really satisfying. I hacen't checked out yours (yet) but how did you work around that?

• As far as I know the only difference between the newer and older concerning the gate is that the one on the newer is adjustable but on the older it is not - but it's still there. I could be wrong, but my old silver "mesa looking" xxx has a non adjustable inbuilt noise reduction.

• As far as I know the only difference between the newer and older concerning the gate is that the one on the newer is adjustable but on the older it is not - but it's still there. I could be wrong, but my old silver "mesa looking" xxx has a non adjustable inbuilt noise reduction.

That would be incorrect. Mine had no gate on it, no built in noise reduction, nada. They didn't start including gates on Peaveys until the first JSX models came out. Mine was first year production model tho....don't know after that.

• Here's a quote from my older, silver XXX manual - check point 5. Could be possible that even earlier runs didn't have the noise reduction, but mine definitely has one.

FEATURES
    • Three 12AX7 preamp tubes
    • Four 6L6GC power amp tubes driven by a 12AX7
    • Power amp convertible to use four EL34 tubes
    • Footswitchable effects loop with independent send and return controls • Damping switch (Tight, Medium, Loose)
    • Special noise gate circuitry on Ultra and Crunch channels
    • Line out with level control
    • Cabinet impedance switch (4, 8, or 16 Ohms)
    • Heavy-duty power, standby and channel select toggle switches
    • Classic power status indicator lamp
    • Chrome-plated brass control knobs

• Back to Topic:

Great profiles! The Drive one is really cool - I disengaged the EQ and Verb in the post section and it sounds a lot like my XXX. Good Cab choice with the 054 Mesa by TillS. I think my XXX goes to ebay.... :P

• I hope everyone takes this as a testament for the Kemper. I only have one mic. I don't even have a stand. I have it taped to a stick in a beer bottle. I'm using my daughters closet as an isolation box so that I can hear the Kemper for comparisons. I think her cloths help control the sound a bit. When I did these and the few others I have done, it was the first time I ever mic'd a cab. I have some more mic's on the way and I will attempt to improve these. I'm glad some of you folks like them. Guess I should buy a stand for the mic too.

• I hope everyone takes this as a testament for the Kemper. I only have one mic. I don't even have a stand. I have it taped to a stick in a beer bottle. I'm using my daughters closet as an isolation box so that I can hear the Kemper for comparisons. I think her cloths help control the sound a bit.

That is just awesome :thumbup:

• I added four more profiles of the XXX. These were done differently, out in the open. Two use the Crunch channel and two were done on the Ultra channel. The Ultras are pretty high gain.