Tone Chasing and Amp in the room

• That tone is in our hands to a great extent is a truth that should be universally acknowledged to avoid endless holy grail amp and guitar seeking. The more we play and focus on our technique the better chances of getting there.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• So I should conclude: forget all the profiles that tell you will sound like Satriani, Page, EVH and the like. Yes? (I didn't believe it anyway, and all the profiles promising something like this I tested, all where disappointing compared to expectations.

• So I should conclude: forget all the profiles that tell you will sound like Satriani, Page, EVH and the like. Yes? (I didn't believe it anyway, and all the profiles promising something like this I tested, all where disappointing compared to expectations.

I don’t think is is that simple. If a guitarist plays enough like someone else, using a similar sound can make them sound more like that other person. But, if Jimi Page owned a Kemper, and bought some EVH rigs, he would sound like Jimi Page playing through a hot rod Marshall.

• There is a video in which Bonamassa emulates Danny Gatton, who had been a teacher of his or something, and Jeff Beck. And he does a great job, but then Bonamassa is so good...And Beck can impersonate Gallup, but he had his own evolution, and Clapton is not a clone of F King, BB or A King, though he borrowed from them...Finding your voice is as complicated or even more than cloning another. Guitars are complicated beasts. How you play the notes is a key element. The fretting hand, the pick attack. Not just the notes and the timing.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Everybody should sound like himself

makes no sense to sound like Bonamassa, cause we already have Bonamassa

Finding a unique own sound and playing is the key

This is exactly why I never make my performances by song. I make my performances by amp and 1-4 increase the drive and 5 is the lead. I would much rather grab the Dumble tone I made for rock and blues and just play, or the Mesa dual rec performance I made for metal. I like sounding like me but playing the song.