Running Powerhead into 2 x 12 cab

• Hi Everyone,

I've had a Powerhead about a month & love it. I run it into a Laney IRT 2 x 12 cab when playing with my band. The cab is best described as built well but got questionable speakers - certainly not up to the quality of the Kemper sounds pumped in.

The other guitarist plays a Marshall 2 x 12 Combo loaded with Vintage 30 speakers & I struggle to match his cut through in the mix. If I swapped my speakers for 2 x Vintage 30s (rated at 60W each) would this be a risky idea, given the Kemper's power output?

Thanks all.

• Nice one. Cab says 8 Ohms on back so actually I guess that means swapping in Kones would make no difference.

Apologies if dumb questions - I'm no expert on Ohms, Wattage etc.

Will take the plunge on two Kones then. Do these run straight from the Output menu in terms of imprint? So if I want V30s I just select V30s on the menu & whatever cab profile I have selected is sent + a V30 speaker profile?

Sounds too good to be true... :)

• that’s pretty much it.

you can either run Full Range in which case you will get the cab section of the Rig just like going to PA or a DXR10 etc.

Alternatively you can run in imprint mode and get the speaker of choice. This is set as a global master in the output section. Say you want V30 all the time just set the global default to V30. However, you can override this in the Stack section on a rig by rig basis in you want. So you could run V30 most of the time but switch to Jensens or something for any rigs with a Fender amp in them ????

• Just remember to wire the Kones in series to get 8 ohms. If your cab is currently rated at 8 ohms then the speakers are likely 16 ohms inside and wired parallel, it's impossible to have two 8 ohm speakers wired to 8 ohms.

Either way just make sure you understand series/parallel wiring before you hook it all up.

Regarding running 600w in to 2 vintage 30 speakers, your eardrums would fail before the speakers would give out, no real danger of damaging v30's

You'll be real happy with the Kones

• speakers inside are wired in series so guessing they're 4 ohms each. Back plate says 8 for input.

Looking forward to getting them. Will be getting a pro guitar tech I know to sort the soldering etc as I'm not that guy... Getting the Laney speakers out was a bloody job & a half (it's built like a tank) but cab now ready to accept the Kones. ?

• bought these & it's all a bit odd. I'd expected a divert to PayPal but got a message saying expect an invoice.

Got it through this morning but it's in German. There's stuff on there that seems like bank codes but they're just in the letter footer. No obvious instructions how to pay.

I've emailed them to ask how to proceed but seems a bit clunky....!

• speakers inside are wired in series so guessing they're 4 ohms each. Back plate says 8 for input.

Looking forward to getting them. Will be getting a pro guitar tech I know to sort the soldering etc as I'm not that guy... Getting the Laney speakers out was a bloody job & a half (it's built like a tank) but cab now ready to accept the Kones. ?

More likely to be 2x 16 Ohm in parallel which gives 8 Ohm. The wattage should be printed on the speakers which will confirm. Series wiring connects negative of first speaker to the positive of the second. Parallel connects positive to positive and negative to negative.

• Just wired up the Kones & whoooa.

What a sound. Immediate dial in of a crazy tone & playing along to tracks via AUX is amazing. The power of these has to he heard to be believed.

Massive recommendation.

• Running Diezel VH4 & Mesa Triple Rec though Vintage 30 speaker setting.

Cab itself is a Laney Ironheart 212. Unremarkable original speakers but solidly built. Nice home for the kones.