Mono from main out no sound

• *rather than hijack/derail someone else's thread I thought I'd make my own.

I've been trying to take a mono signal from my Kemper to my Focusrite interface to use for Zoom guitar lessons. Unfortunately Zoom doesn't pickup SPDIF as a mic input so my only option is to use analogue 1+2 on the front of the interface for 1 xlr mic for talking and then mono Kemper signal for the guitar.

I plugged a 1/4" to XLR jack from the main output L to the Focusrite port, set the monitor outputs on the control software but no sound. Its picking up my xlr mic so its not the mix, and the cable is brand new.

Only when I switched to the monitor output port did I get any sound, and I did a test with a quick webcam video but the audio from Spotify playing with my guitar is very quiet (guitar louder than Spotify audio). I've tried adjusting the levels in Focusrite control but still can barely hear the backing track.

Is there something I have forgotten to do somewhere? And why did I only get sound when I went monitor output and not main out?

• On Kemper side you use 1/4" socket and on Focusrite you use XLR right?

Kemper main out 1/4" is unbalanced line level for TS plug and Xlr on Focusrite is balanced MIC level

I think you should use Xlr on Kemper side and TRS plug on Focusrite for balanced signal

Or use Kemper 1/4" sockets with TS instrument cable and also on Focusrite side TS plug to get unbalanced signal going

If using TS or TRS on Focusrite, you have to select Line switch

Dont know is this helping, just thoughts

Edit

If Focusrite is connected with XLR it determines signal as microphone level signal, when using TS or TRS plugs it determines it as line level or instrument level signal

• Yes I am using a 1/4" to male xlr jack (1/4" from Kemper to XLR in Focusrite). I think it should be the female xlr from main out on Kemper?

Dammit I bought the wrong cable! Lol.

I tested it with a student tonight on Zoom and he could hear my guitar which is good, just the audio was a bit loud this time as a live stream so balancing the two was tricky. I plugged my acoustic guitar in and set the input as instrument and it worked fine. So should I do the same with my Kemper input via 1/4"?

But yeah I think maybe if I get the opposite cable of what I got today it may make it better?

• I replied on your other thread, but try using a regular mic cable from the L Kemper XLR Main Output to the Focusrite XLR input. Be sure to set the Kemper to Mono out.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• You have it just like it should not be :)

Kemper sends only line level signal and if Focusrite is plugged with XLR it thinks there is microphone connected

You can try with normal guitar/intrument cable 1/4" TS ->1/4"TS with switch selected to "Line"

or normal micropone cable like this

https://m.thomann.de/fi/cordia…2XmAg0EAQYASABEgIUbvD_BwE

• I thought so lol. So I should have the female xlr (Kemper main out) to 1/4” (interface side) instead then?

Or xlr to xlr? I tried with a guitar cable but it didn’t work for some reason. Zoom will not detect a line signal only analogue 1+2.

• Just wondering why you can't just use a normal guitar cable from the Kemper main out to the audio interface. That should stop the interface from thinking it's a mic, no?

• You have to use a normal Guitar Cable from Kemper to Input 1 or 2 of the Focusrite, the XLR Inputs are Combo Jacks

mean you can use XLR or Jack not same input when you use Jack you have Line Level Signal , this is what you need

• I've tried using a guitar cable from main out to the Focusrite but it doesn't work. In Focusrite control I've enabled analogue 1 to monitor output but I'm not getting any sound.

EDIT: The volume was set to -32db which I've adjusted to about -0.13 and there's sound coming but its very fuzzy.

Also my main issue is when I'm testing recording something on my laptop webcam it is only picking up the guitar, and not any backing audio off Spotify.

• Yes, done all that and it's all working ok now.

Next issue to sort is on Zoom people can't hear any music that is playing, only my guitar so if I am demonstrating a song part they can't hear both. Its really bugging me that I can't solve this!