S/PDIF slave capability for Head

• Hi everyone,

i've seen that the new operating system 7.5.4 have an interesting feature, allowing the slave S/PDIF capability for Kemper Head.

On release notes it's written that this new feature works just with "models manufactured since about 2019. New devices show option Auto/Internal in Output Section like Stage models do": my head shows the option "Auto/Internal" in Output Section, so I think it should work, but... looks like it's not. If I choose "internal" on the "Clock Source" option of my scarlett 8i6 (3rd gen) and "Auto" in Output Section on Kemper, I still can listen some artifacts when I play guitar.

Am I missing something?

• Weel, thanks, as obvious questions often reveal... obvious mistakes! ;)

Samples rates are both setted at 44,100, the buffer size of the scarlett is set at 32 (16 the min., I've tried different settings and look like it's not the problem), software are updated, running on windows 10.

My main doubt is: is it possible that my head shows the option "Auto/Internal" in Output Section, but it's still a model without the new chip that allow to be setted as a slave?

• My main doubt is: is it possible that my head shows the option "Auto/Internal" in Output Section, but it's still a model without the new chip that allow to be setted as a slave?

It's beyond my pay grade to know that, brother.

Hopefully someone from the team will clear that up for you.

• My main doubt is: is it possible that my head shows the option "Auto/Internal" in Output Section, but it's still a model without the new chip that allow to be setted as a slave?

I just checked my (older than 3 years) head and there is no option "Auto/Internal" available so I think that yours is likely to have the new chip and that you should be able to 'set' it as a slave (presumably Auto).

I've had look at the Scarlett (gen 3) manual and there's little to go on there. Assuming you had previously (i.e. before the update) had the KPA as master and the Scarlett set to S/PDIF did you reboot the Scarlett when you changed it to Internal?

With the Scarlett running, it might be worth setting the KPA to Auto and then restarting it. There may be a time-out where it reverts to Internal if it doesn't receive a clock signal.

FWIW, I think S/PDIF is a PITA! ... a pair of balanced XLRs gets the job done!

Edit: just seen kpahuitsing post above (mine took a while!) ... Standard audio RCA cable will pass signals but they are not good enough for Digital.

• Standard audio RCA cable will pass signals but they are not good enough for Digital.

I used RCA for years for S/PDIF I/O with an O2R and found that as long as lengths were kept to under 1 metre I had no issues, Andy. Skål.

• another obvious question: do you have two cables connected (with good quality/impedance.. i.e. labelled 'for digital use')

Yep! Two cables specifically for S/PDIF use, one meter long.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, much appreciated. Today I'm on holiday, and I do not have the possibility to make some specific tests, but I'm pretty sure I've restarted the pc, the kemper as well as the scarlett. I'm not totally sure in which order, but I've done several test. Naturally, when I'll be back home in two weeks, I'll do some more specific tests.

Btw, the S/PDIF a pita?? Really?? Honestly I love it, I use it a lot for reamping, and I consider it a sort of gift from the gods! <3:D