Recording and reamping through SPDIF with Reaper DAW : My ultimate method

• Hi,

I want to share with you how I record and reamp my Kemper through SPDIF with Reaper DAW.

I've built a set of "toolbox tracks" (and saved them as input template). Here there are:

There are a separator and a folder (just for cosmetic). The three nexts are more important

How to use it ? (i will explain how to setup them below)

Record for Reamp

Your kemper must be set with Git+Master Mono and SPDIF output

Create a "DI+AMP" track that will contain DI + mono amped (this is a stereo track). I prefer keeping DI and Amped sound together because it is easier to split/cut them together.

To record a track, I send "Git+M" to the "DI+AMP" track (click and drag the IO/Route button to the "DI+AMP") . Arm the record button on the "DI+AMP".... and let's play.

Record Master Stereo

Your kemper must be set with Master Stereo and SPDIF output

You do the same as previous but using the "Master S" track instead of "Git + M".

Reamping

Your Kemper must be set up with SPDIF Input Reamp as Input

Now, create a new track "ReampResult".

- click and drag the source track "DI+AMP" to the "REAMP" track (to send the "DI+AMP" to the "REAMP" track) : the REAMP track is configured to just taking care of the DI and send it to the KEMPER

- click and drag "MASTER S" track to the "ReampResult" track

- Arm the "ReampResult" ' record button

- Record.

How to setup toolbox tracks

The "Reamp" Track

This is the setup of the "Reamp" Track:

- The record is disabled

- In the routing parameters:

- Add a new hardware output to correspond to your SPDIF interface

- Now, set the hardware output to send the channel 1 (mono source -> 1) (left bottom combo box in the routing window)

The "Git + M" track

Here is the configuration of the "Git+M" track

- Enable Monitor Input

- Disable the record

- Set Input Stereo to the channel corresponding to the SPDIF inputs

Note that in the Routing config, I added a Send to a "Kemper M" track : this is an optionnal monitoring track: I send the mono channel 2 (the AMP sound) to a monitoring track.

The "Master S" Track

Quite similar to the previous configuration

So with track tempates, I can easlily add these pre-configured tracks to my projects

PS: for who that will ask me which reaper theme I use -> here it is : https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=214879