Montrose - One Thing On My Mind

• Latest fully-loaded retro rock cover. I only make these when the inspiration strikes and have had enough time to recover from making the last one. Don't get me wrong, I love guitar but I love hacking around in the recording studio more.

So as it happened, I was noodling one night and out popped the hook to Montrose's party track "One Thing On My Mind". A new tube head (Victory's VX100) had just arrived, so I used that to create a tone-matching profile & along with the assist of an AI-based French vocal extraction project, resurrected Sammy in a new key to create Ronnie's band from scratch!

Everything transcribed, played, sequenced, mixed, mastered, etc by me except for Mr. Hagar, who is unwittingly lending me his pipes here and doing a great job of it.

So before SoundCloud's ContentID robots get me, let's do this.

Vocal Version Here:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Karaoke Version Here:

https://soundcloud.com/dhodgso…ing-on-my-mindkaraoke-mix

Thanks for listening! #ReverseKaraokeIsTheNewBlack

-djh

• Thanks, everyone! I can't get over how this kind of thing is even possible now. In the context of a full mix, it's hard to tell that that that I wasn't working with an original vocal stem but in solo one can hear the artifacts pretty readily. Sames goes for the tone matching; the intro gave me a target to aim for, but unlike the original I didn't need a Big Muff, just guitar into a MXR EQ pedal and from there straight into the Kemper. I'd be curious to know what Ronnie used in the right channel for the phasey effect, what would he or Ted Templeman have used in 1973?