New to the Kemper

• Hey!

My name is Moritz, i'm 34, from Germany and i'm a Kemper head user since tuesday. I'm really impressed by the sound of this unit and i use every free minute to play through it! The amount of great sounds is huge and i realized, that i could mark most of the profiles as "favorite" ^^

I use it with my studio monitors most of the time but i also ordered three headphones: Superlux 668, 681 and an Audio Technica ATH50x. The Superlux sound pretty decent, regarding the low price! I like the punch and loudness of the ATH 50x but they appear a little muddy with driven sounds. The Superlux have more clarity but sound a lot thinner than the ATH. It would be great, if i could find a pair of headphones that provide the great sound, coming out of my monitors!

Can anyone recommend some good headphones with the rock n roll of the ATH but a little more transparency?

• Welcome, have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper :thumbup:8) Thanks for your introduction...

Sorry, can't help much with the headphones question. I'm using rather old AKG 240s for my studio work and those are nice for guitar via the Kemper as well. But I can not really compare them to others as I typically hear guitar via Kemper on my studio monitors. Potentially some other folks here can comment better on this :)

P.S.: Nice nickname. Oh, how much I love that piece of Frank Zappa's music :love:

• Welcome, Moritz!

The headphone quest is a rabbit hole. Asking here, you'll get any number of recommendations, as evidenced by threads dedicated to the subject.

For what it might be worth, I swear by my old Sennheiser HD25-1. Tested many brands and models, and this was the only one that sounded like my monitors. Seeing as you seem to have similar requirements, I highly recommend you try 'em.

• Hello Moritz,

welcome to the family and a lot of fun with the profiler!

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

• Welcome to the forum! You might try Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones. They're pretty good IMO, but I still much prefer monitors.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've read the headphone threads today and monkey man is right, i have to compare them myself. I think i'll try the Sennheiser HD-25, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and the Shure SHR 840, they all seem to have many fans in this forum and i'm pretty excited for testing new stuff ;)

• Hey Moritz, viel Spaß hier!

Bezüglich der Headphones habe ich ebenfalls mehrere Superlux HD 681 (ich finde die sehr gut), außerdem ebenfalls den Audio Technica ATH50x (bißchen mittiger, sehr Rock'n'Roll).

Wenn ich analytischer hören will, nehme ich einen Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Pro.

• Hallo Ingolf!

Die 681 habe ich auch behalten und mir gefallen sie immer besser, grade mit den cleanen und leicht angezerrten Fender und Vox Profiles. Die Marshall Sounds oder generell auch die High Gain Profile kommen mir damit aber ziemlich britzelig vor, was über die Monitore oder die Gitarrenbox garnicht so rüberkommt. Bei den ATH ging es schon mehr in die richtige Richtung, von daher bin ich mal auf die anderen Kopfhörer gespannt, Versuch macht kluch :)

• I use it with my studio monitors most of the time but i also ordered three headphones: Superlux 668, 681 and an Audio Technica ATH50x. The Superlux sound pretty decent, regarding the low price! I like the punch and loudness of the ATH 50x but they appear a little muddy with driven sounds. The Superlux have more clarity but sound a lot thinner than the ATH. It would be great, if i could find a pair of headphones that provide the great sound, coming out of my monitors!

Can anyone recommend some good headphones with the rock n roll of the ATH but a little more transparency?

I'd highly recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x headphones if you're looking for something less muddy. They're even a little bit cheaper so you'll save like $50. But don't let that $50 cheaper price tag fool you, they're great headphones and sound great for monitoring the Kemper. I've tried both the ATH-M40x and ATH-M50x headphones and the ATH-M40x's have less bass and less low end rumble. They're much more flat and have a more even frequency response.

You can actually even find reviews online with people making remarks about how much more flat the M40x's are. The M50x's seem more hyped in certain areas of the frequency spectrum (bass and low end especially) and they're great for listening to music, but not as great for reference headphones. (I confirmed this because when researching a new pair of headphones, I find their frequency response charts online) There are definitely more options as far as more flat reference-capable headphones but, the M40x's are cheaper than the M50x's and honestly sound great. The stereo image is surprisingly wide. They have a lot of punch without being muddy or boomy. They have a super clear midrange and crisp high end that isn't harsh and present low end that's detailed but not overpowering. And most importantly, they're not as hyped in certain areas of the frequency spectrum so they're not deceiving when you're dialing in tones lol. (or at least, not as deceiving as other headphones can be lol :D). I've had mine for a long time now and I prefer them to my Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, and my Beyerdynamic DT770's. I actually sold both a while back because I never use them after getting a pair of ATH-M40x's. I'm honestly surprised they're cheaper than the M50x's considering how much more clear they are for monitoring and how much more effective they are when used as reference headphones. I'd highly recommend them :)

Hope this helps!

• Welcome! Headphone Space option and use the Headphone jack on the KPA if you're not at this time. Makes a big difference as noted by many. Pretty sure I got that right as I haven't adjusted those things in a long time.

• Hi Moritz. Enjoy your new Kemper. I think you'll enjoy its adaptability. I'm very happy and I think I've only tapped into perhaps 40% of its capability so far. This is a very useful forum.

• Thanks for your recommendations! I've tried some different models and can't say clearly which is my favorite... Right now i have the Beyerdynamics DT770 and DT880, the Shure SRH840 and the Sennheiser HD25 on my desk. None of these sound bad and all are great for listenig to music, but some have a really great sound with clean and crunchy Sounds but lack at bit at high gain profiles, like the HD25 and SRH840. They seem to compress and whitewash the guitar sound with some profiles.

The DT880 sounds very precise and nice, sometimes a little flat, it seems like a good compromise for my demands! To this point i've tested a lot of headphones and am really surprised how different the headphones sound and how hard it is to decide. And i'm not sure if these more pricy headphones are so much better than the Superlux 681...