Kemper Powerhead Stereo mod

• Coming from an active HS8 stereo monitor set with sub, to a kemper kone cabinet in mono for home usage.

love the whole kone thing but now i’m in mono.

have a Marshall SL5 doing nothing could put a kone in there or buy an extra kone cabinet for stereo but then need to bypass my poweramp and buy an external stereo one :cursing:

bit silly

or wait for an active stereo cab.....

best would be the mod that tonejunkie mentioned, looks really clean.

But ‘british’ audio is in ehmm US :|

https://britishaudio.com/produ…-300w-stereo-modification

so my feature request how to get my poweramp stereo again, can’t Kemper provide a mod/upgrade or instruct a partner how to manage these mods?

thanks!

• It's bewildering that Kemper selected a stereo poweramp in their powered heads/ rack units and then disabled the stereo abilities of the amp and forced it to run mono.

The thought did cross my mind as to whether it would be possible to modify the poweramp to run stereo, I didn't realise someone was offering this service commercially, not much use to me over here in Aus though.

I'd possibly be keen if modding the poweramp became the done thing, can't say I want to be the guinea pig though...

I have HS8's also so I still have the stereo option at home if I feel the need, but stereo kones would be a bonus

• It's bewildering that Kemper selected a stereo poweramp in their powered heads/ rack units and then disabled the stereo abilities of the amp and forced it to run mono.

The thought did cross my mind as to whether it would be possible to modify the poweramp to run stereo, I didn't realise someone was offering this service commercially, not much use to me over here in Aus though.

I'd possibly be keen if modding the poweramp became the done thing, can't say I want to be the guinea pig though...

I have HS8's also so I still have the stereo option at home if I feel the need, but stereo kones would be a bonus

Does anyone know the technical details of this modification that lets say, more technically-oriented folks could perhaps do on their own? I've looked online for any references and all I can find are the two mods for sale, and one of the options does not yet support the Kemper Rack/power model which is the one I would like to make stereo out.

• I haven't been very active on this forum... but I did make a DIY stereo MOD for the powered rack and head that I sell on my website. https://withanell.com/store/kemper

I also have it available on Reverb.com at https://reverb.grsm.io/withanellMOD

I kept it solderless...because of this it does require you to drill 2 holes and there is an external y cable. The cool biproduct of that is you get access to both channels of the amplifier and can actually use it to amplifier other fx if needed.

If you aren't afraid to take apart the Kemper, it is a relatively easy MOD. I've sold a bit under 100 units so far and haven't ran into any problems with installation.

Kemper Power rack with Remote
    TASTY JAMS!! :D

• This looks impressive. How are you splitting the factory amp? And what is the 3rd 1/4 input for?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• My MOD bypasses the "switch" that runs the stereo amp in bridged mode, giving access to the left and right channel.

This looks impressive. How are you splitting the factory amp? And what is the 3rd 1/4 input for?

The 3 1/4 Jack's are: Stereo input (for the y cable for left and right input), Left Speaker out, Right Speaker out

Originally I was doing it for myself as I didn't want to ship it off. I realized that other users may be in the same predicament.

I was going to solder the input internally, but trying to describe the 4 non-discript points on the unlabeled board didn't give me faith that I could gaurantee a safe DIY install for all of my users. So I took the soldering out of the question and figured if you were already comfortable drilling one hole, an extra one wouldn't be a problem. You plug the y cable into the monitor and direct outs, and boom stereo Kemper.

The bonus is you can actually use my MOD so that 1 channel amplifies the Kemper and the other amplifies a non-powered unit (unpowered Kemper, Stage, AxeFx, Helix, Quad Cortex etc.)

Kemper Power rack with Remote
    TASTY JAMS!! :D

Edited once, last by Withanell ().

• Thanks. I would love for Kemper themselves to chime in on this. I may be interested at a later date. You should post about it in the For Sale section of the forums. For Sale: Music Gear Classifieds

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.