Yamaha THR 30 II

• Hello, anybody uses new THR and has a word to say? I know it won't be in Kemper's league soundwise - but is it any big sounding to play in the room?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yes I own one and it’s excellent.

I use mine with a Line 6 wireless jack and often Bluetooth music from my phone to play alongside.

Easy to dial in some good tones or tweak the pre-installed ones from the app.

Good value, small and looks good in any living room.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• Yes I own one and it’s excellent.

I use mine with a Line 6 wireless jack and often Bluetooth music from my phone to play alongside.

Easy to dial in some good tones or tweak the pre-installed ones from the app.

Good value, small and looks good in any living room.

Thanks Crookster - this sounds tempting!

• mic'd maybe or lined out into a PA. Loud enough for a coffee house gig on its own. I found I had to change the preordained speaker/cab choice to get it to sound the way I wanted.

I don't consider it to play outside a room. What about preordained speaker/cab choice? You mean, you changed default cab for amp in control app?

• I also bought a used Spark and replaced the speakers with a hifi component 4" mid/fullrange speaker and blocked the bassport. That fixed the inherent boominess and shrill high end. I have posted about this on TGP and the PG threads. I now competes directly with the THR30, but no wireless, but does have Bluetooth and way more FX.

• I also bought a used Spark and replaced the speakers with a hifi component 4" mid/fullrange speaker and blocked the bassport. That fixed the inherent boominess and shrill high end. I have posted about this on TGP and the PG threads. I now competes directly with the THR30, but no wireless, but does have Bluetooth and way more FX.

That sounds very interesting, can you post a ling to your posts ( I dont know what TGP and PG is, sorry). What is the name of the speakers you put in. /Hans J Sweden

• Had this Yamaha THR II 30 for two days for testing at home. Conclusions:

1) Makes you wanna play, is ready instantly.

2) IT IS LOUD! Especially this impression is there on clean profiles. I'm sure that when somebody turned away from it, would strum strings with VOLUME up, he could have sworn it is at least 1x12 cab.

3) Cleans are insanely good, never had a profile on a Kemper + Yamaha DXR10, where clean sounded so defined and 3D.

4) Audio bluetooth streaming - pick your backing track from YouTube, and play along - very good sound quality.

5) Hi-Gain model can also sound BIG, just a matter of playing with GAIN and MASTER knobs. To much of MASTER (not final guitar volume, for which there is separate knob) and speakers start to sweat and sound boomy.

6) Cab simulations in mobile app - makes a difference between British, America, Diesel, Brown, Orange...

7) When set properly level of audio and set good guitar sound - playing to backing track is so much fun.

What I didn't like was Crunch and Lead channels - I think this is where most "emulations" fall down. Or maybe I spent to little time fiddling with settings. I could not acheive this ACDC sound

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    - I have guitar with low level humbuckers - PAF PRO 8.5 kOhm.....

I decided to return it for now, but might get it back.

madmarcus1960 , Crookster , Trigati - how do you enjoy Crunch and Lead channels? I read a review before trying it, and these both channels were described as weak compared to previous generation THR...

• Hi skoczy, I find the lead sounds alright, I don't really play with a crunch rhythm, more just clean and on the verge of break up.

Tweaking it though I find it plays high gain better than medium.

I genuinely find it good for what it is, a wireless, smart looking (my wife seems to think it looks ok to keep in our garden room) practice amp which connects seamlessly to my phone.

It can play loud but I rarely do.

Compared to my Kemper its not even in the same ball park, but price wise it has no right to be.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel