New Owner - My graphic and photos of your Kemper signal chain?

• Hi folks!

My Kemper head ships tomorrow (Friday 9/4). I'll have it Tuesday! Until then I can't join the private sections.

It's probably geeky but here's a graphic of my proposed setup. I searched the forum here for other people's setups and only found one or two. It would be great if some of you owners would look at my simplistic signal chain idea and comment.. be gentle... I'm just playing for me these days.

I'm a 62 yo Cinematographer for film and television, mostly commercials. My parents were musicians, as were my brother and sister so there was live music in our home every night. I gave it a good 11 year run in bands but frankly the money was better and easier in film and TV.

I've fallen way down the rabbit hole for nearly two months now and selling my tube amp.

Current guitars:
    1974 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top (orig owner)

1953 Gibson L-3 (formerly my late father's)

1978 Fender Musicmaster (formerly my late brother's")
    AMPS:

Marshalls, Sound City, Mesa and for the last few months I've been trying out a Fender HRD4.
    MONITORS:
    Genelec 8020's

Nothing super impressive but it makes me happy and my wife loves my singing and playing still. She's okay with the reasonably high volumes but I'm not so much interested in shaking the walls anymore and protecting my already damaged hearing. 8o

Thanks so much and I'm looking forward to at some point being able to contribute here.

~ Robert - Orlando, FL

• Welcome, have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper once it arrives. You'll love it. Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your biggest fan at home. Lucky you! Enjoy! :thumbup:8)

• Hi and welcome, Robert! :)

It would be great if some of you owners would look at my simplistic signal chain idea and comment..

It looks like you're thinking of plugging guitar directly into the Mackie (using "instrument" inputs) and feeding the Kemper from there whilst possibly recording the DI signal simultaneously.

That's fine, but if you have sufficient inputs on the Mackie I'd suggest you feed the Kemper's Main and / or Monitor as well as Direct outs to the desk and plug your guitars into the Kemper itself. This will allow you to achieve the same thing but it's IMHO a more-elegant, simpler approach.

• Hi and welcome, Robert! :)

It looks like you're thinking of plugging guitar directly into the Mackie (using "instrument" inputs) and feeding the Kemper from there whilst possibly recording the DI signal simultaneously.

That's fine, but if you have sufficient inputs on the Mackie I'd suggest you feed the Kemper's Main and / or Monitor as well as Direct outs to the desk and plug your guitars into the Kemper itself. This will allow you to achieve the same thing but it's IMHO a more-elegant, simpler approach.

Thanks Monkey_Man,

No, I'm plugging the guitar direct into the Kemper and then the Kemper to the mixer. The MS Word chart templates all sucked and this was the best out of about 15 I tried. By the time I was done I could have done it in PhotoShop. I was trying to put a box for the guitar above the Kemper but the whole thing was FUBAR so I went lazy and adjusted the text to say "Guitar to Kemper in one box.

Thanks for taking a close look at my crappy graphic!

~Robert

• As an aside, look at what the same year guitars and amps like your’s have recently sold for on Reverb.com. You are likely to find out they are more impressive to people than you think :)

Thank you Paults,

Those guitars are family heirlooms as far as I'm concerned and to me they're priceless, especially my Dad's acoustic; that's the guitar my brother and I both sat on his knee as toddlers as he started teaching us about music. Basically when he passed, he only had two things of value left; the 1953 Gibson L-3 and his hunting guns. My brother got the guns and I gladly accepted the guitar. The 1974 Les Paul Deluxe, I purchased with yard mowing money when I was 16 and still have the receipt and original everything.

My attorney set up a prenuptial agreement before I got married to protect my businesses and those three guitars.

I appreciate the kind words..

~Robert

• Hi Robert,

welcome to the Kemperfamily.

Thanks for sharing your story and a lot of fun with your profiler!

And don´t forget to profile your remaining amps ;)

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

Edited once, last by hafi19 ().

• RobStar I wasn't suggesting you should considering selling them - I just wanted you to know that they are something special :)

You must have mowed a lot of lawns!

Understood! In 1974 it was $354 new. I got anywhere from $5-10 to push mow a yard and my Dad made me maintain his mower I used so it was probably 50-60 yards after expenses. Same with my first real SLR camera; I dreamed of the $129.95 Minolta SRT 101 but the mower kept breaking and I could only get to about $105 so I bought the Argus Cosina STL-1000. (early 70's). Now, we own digital cinema cameras that the bodies only, no lens cost $75,000 and some of the individual lenses cost that much and more. Needless to say my parents taught me how to work and there's no free lunch.