Recording and editing workflow with my Kemper

• In this video I'm showing my recording and editing workflow for recording guitar parts with my Kemper. Any tips to make it even easier or better ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Regards,

Maarten

• Nice one Maarten, thanks for sharing. Good stuff and best practices in it and I agree with many of the aspects you mention :thumbup:8)

Personally I rather record the Git Stack (as you do) plus the dry signal for reamping purposes (all via SPDIF). Sometimes I pick up the stereo effects (rather in reamping phase) or on few occasions via analog ins of the interface. But all that is rather matter of taste and needs.

For the comping: Do you really need to put cuts in there? I just use the comping, hold the mouse button and move it over the part of the lane I want to be active and Cubase does the rest (still on version 7.5 pro here - need to update soon). IMHO you can save the cutting part.

• Nice one Maarten, thanks for sharing. Good stuff and best practices in it and I agree with many of the aspects you mention :thumbup:8)

Personally I rather record the Git Stack (as you do) plus the dry signal for reamping purposes (all via SPDIF). Sometimes I pick up the stereo effects (rather in reamping phase) or on few occasions via analog ins of the interface. But all that is rather matter of taste and needs.

For the comping: Do you really need to put cuts in there? I just use the comping, hold the mouse button and move it over the part of the lane I want to be active and Cubase does the rest (still on version 7.5 pro here - need to update soon). IMHO you can save the cutting part.

Thanks for your reply deadman42 ! Yes I’ve recorded DI for re-amping as well. But when recording the other parts (e.g. our singer), it’s better for him to already hear a more produced sound. So that’s why I’m recording the reverb and delays as well. Even though I will replace them when I start to mix.

As for comping without cutting, interesting. How does Cubase know where to put the cuts then ? I’ll have to look into that?.

Thanks for watching the video ?.

• Nice video Maarten. thanks for sharing.

some lovely playing on that solo! And love the Tom Anderson ?

I tend to use SPDIF for a Simultaneous DI and Stack Mono recording the Same way that deadman42 does. I don’t do it for audio quality reasons purely convenience. I don’t use a lot of big delays or reverbs so I don’t always record a second track with the FX. If I need them I can reamp later or use plugins. As deadman42 said, you could use SPDIF for the DI and Stack but use analog for the FX track however the only think about is latency. If you use 44.1k the digital track will arrive slightly ahead of the the analog. If you use any other sample rate the digital track will arrive noticeably later than the analog signal. Not sure how big an issue that would be in the real world as I haven’t actually tried it but worth bearing in mind.

As for comping, I’m not familiar with Cubase (the last time I used it was on a Windows 3 machine when it was Midi only) but I presume it is very similar to Logic. Your method of cutting etc seems like a lot of extra work. I know that in Logic I use track stacks with group editing like you do but I just literally swipe and area on each take (“lane” in your case) without any cutting. Crossfades are entered automatically but can still be edited manually if necessary. This saves a lot of time.

Thanks again for sharing.

• Nice video Maarten. thanks for sharing.

some lovely playing on that solo! And love the Tom Anderson ?

I tend to use SPDIF for a Simultaneous DI and Stack Mono recording the Same way that deadman42 does. I don’t do it for audio quality reasons purely convenience. I don’t use a lot of big delays or reverbs so I don’t always record a second track with the FX. If I need them I can reamp later or use plugins. As deadman42 said, you could use SPDIF for the DI and Stack but use analog for the FX track however the only think about is latency. If you use 44.1k the digital track will arrive slightly ahead of the the analog. If you use any other sample rate the digital track will arrive noticeably later than the analog signal. Not sure how big an issue that would be in the real world as I haven’t actually tried it but worth bearing in mind.

As for comping, I’m not familiar with Cubase (the last time I used it was on a Windows 3 machine when it was Midi only) but I presume it is very similar to Logic. Your method of cutting etc seems like a lot of extra work. I know that in Logic I use track stacks with group editing like you do but I just literally swipe and area on each take (“lane” in your case) without any cutting. Crossfades are entered automatically but can still be edited manually if necessary. This saves a lot of time.

Thanks again for sharing.

Thank you for the nice comments Wheresthedug ?.

I’m using all analog outs (no SPDIF) as my RME AES audio interface doesn’t have SPDIF. But I can imagine it is more convenient to use.

As for how you’re doing comping in Logic, I do think the Cubase comp tool might have similar abilities to just select a certain area on a take/lane and then automatically select that with crossfades and all. Not at my daw right now but am going to check that. Thanks for the tips ?.

• As for comping without cutting, interesting. How does Cubase know where to put the cuts then ?

Starting point is where you press the mouse button, ending point is where you release the mouse button after moving it over the desired lane. With this move you mark the area of the lane which is activated then. Very easy to correct and very easy to mark different areas on different lanes. Maybe have a look at YouTube's video's on Cubase comping approach when it firstly came up (I think around Cubase 7 or 7.5).

I tend to use SPDIF for a Simultaneous DI and Stack Mono recording the Same way that deadman42 does. I don’t do it for audio quality reasons purely convenience.

This. Convenience and consistency of the approach and levels is pretty good. Nevertheless you can achieve all this also via the analog ins and outs. Personally I have a bit more hassle with the right levels then for re-amping. But maybe I am just too lazy to figure out... as I do not need it right now 8o

• Starting point is where you press the mouse button, ending point is where you release the mouse button after moving it over the desired lane. With this move you mark the area of the lane which is activated then. Very easy to correct and very easy to mark different areas on different lanes. Maybe have a look at YouTube's video's on Cubase comping approach when it firstly came up (I think around Cubase 7 or 7.5).

Thanks a lot deadman42 ! I will try this. Sounds indeed like it is a more efficient way to select from the recorded takes ?.