Great through headphones/ interface - terrible through Yamaha DXR10

• Hi, it's my first post and I've read a lot on the forums about the difference between headphones/ speaker but the difference is to the point of being unusable.

The Kemper is awesome and sounds great via headphones and into my UAD Arrow with the subtle nuances of the rigs being really apparent (the Tone Junkie ones sound like the YouTube videos!).

However when I connect it (monitor out, single 1/4 cable to channel 2 (mono) of the Yamaha DXR10) the tones are flat, unresponsive and sound totally different. I have made sure the standards problems have been ironed out i.e making sure the cabinet is activated etc. and got this speaker as I'd heard some really good things about it on this forum . Is this as good as it gets with the Yamaha DXR10 or is there a way I can make it sound better? I'd hoped the DXR10 would accurately reproduce the great tone from the headphones.

I really like the Kemper but if I can't amplify it reasonably accurately I'm going to have to go back to an amp.

Any suggestions?

Mik

• Welcome to the forum! I've used a DXR10 for years, and the only issue I've had is over-driving it when using the XLR input. Have you checked the EQ settings for the Monitor output (press OUTPUT button to access options)? If that's flat, then perhaps your DXR10 is faulty?

Edit: Also, not only must the Cabinet be active, but you must have it being used via the Monitor output, which is via a separate option under the OUTPUT settings (Monitor Cab Off must NOT be checked).

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• And then there's the settings on the DXR10 depending on how you use it. As a monitor wedgeon the floor, set it to "MONITOR". If it's upright on a stand, a chair or a desk, use the "FOH/MAIN" setting .

And just as a general remark ... a single speaker (mono) will never sound even close to stereo monitoring (like headphones or studio monitors) ... even less when you use stereo effects in your chain.

• Thanks for the advice, I'll give all the suggestions a try. I'm using Dt770s at the Kemper sounds great through them, I just can't get the DXR10 to sound remotely like what I hear in the headphones. I bought the Speaker brand new, it's the mkII version.

• I checked the monitor out and the cabinet was turned on but I've been using on the floor as a wedge and flicking the "monitor" switch on the DXR10 has worked really well. It's far more responsive and seems to have more bass, mid and treble! I'll try some rigs out like this but you've made my weekend with this advice as I plan to spend many happy hours playing and fine tuning!

Thanks guys

• Bought my Profiler together with a Yamaha DXR10 (Mk I then) in early 2016. Was blown away by the sound after adjusting the Monitor EQ following the advice posted here. The DXR10 sadly blew up last year just short after the three year warranty was over. Immediately bought a new DXR10 -- which turned out to be the Mk II version. Right from the start, this thing sounded totally different compared to the Mk I version. Whatever I tried: Never got it to sound like the first version. Now waiting for the active Kemper Kabinet...

Would be glad to hear the opinion of other owners of the Mk II version who also know the sound of the glorious initial release.

Cheers-

• Bought my Profiler together with a Yamaha DXR10 (Mk I then) in early 2016. Was blown away by the sound after adjusting the Monitor EQ following the advice posted here. The DXR10 sadly blew up last year just short after the three year warranty was over. Immediately bought a new DXR10 -- which turned out to be the Mk II version. Right from the start, this thing sounded totally different compared to the Mk I version. Whatever I tried: Never got it to sound like the first version. Now waiting for the active Kemper Kabinet...

Would be glad to hear the opinion of other owners of the Mk II version who also know the sound of the glorious initial release.

Cheers-

I'm pretty sure that the DXR10 has a 7 year warranty.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer