Profiling my amps

• I want to profile my amp collection, and looking at the Apollo line of interfaces... I am overwhelemed. For those that use the Apollo line, How many plugins do you use when actually profiling, which ones? I am trying to decide whether to buy the solo, duo, quad... i have NO intentions on mixing or recording, for now I am interested in whats needed for just making profiles. I just wonder how much processing do I need...

I plan on using 2 mics during profile. So i guess that doubles the number,,, I realize some plugins are more processor hungry than others.

I guess I am trying not to be too budget conscious and find myself short on dsp, but I also dont want a Ferrari to drive to the bus stop....

• I was under the impression that you could just buy a mixer to put two mics into the Kemper. Basically no need to go through an interface. I am not making professional profiles so maybe i am wrong but buying the apollo just to profile seems like overkill.

• 8)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks, I just started watching that episode.... just found it about an hour ago... he as done another and Rabeea has one out... too.. still trying to figure out how much processing power I "really" need.. I imagine its like a garage, can never be too much, but hate to park the $$ in something I dont use...

As for mixer only, would that power the mic?

• Have you seen this UAD DSP chart?

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-…215262223-UAD-2-DSP-Chart

I have an Apollo Twin Duo but have never used it to profile an amp because I’ve read that the plugins don’t translate very well when profiled. If I were to use it to profile, I’d probably only use a preamp/eq plugin like the Neve 1073. From the chart above, that would take up 40% of one of the two chips on my Duo so that would be more than enough for 2 mic’s. You could even add a couple of 1176 comps to both mic’s and still have some DSP left.

Cheers,

jayson

• I was under the impression that you could just buy a mixer to put two mics into the Kemper. Basically no need to go through an interface. I am not making professional profiles so maybe i am wrong but buying the apollo just to profile seems like overkill.

Agree 100%, Ira.

As for mixer only, would that power the mic?

Practically every mixer in the world can provide phantom power; it wouldn't be much of a mixer if it couldn't.

The only obvious exceptions I can think of in the analogue world are summing mixers and so-called line / keyboard mixers, neither of which would show up if you were searching simply for normal multichannel (is there any other type?) mixers.

A small Allen & Heath, Yamaha or Mackie mixer should do the job admirably, especially seeing as it's only two mono signals that're being combined.

• am overwhelemed. For those that use the Apollo line, How many plugins do you use when actually profiling, which ones?

If you're talking about additional plugins, like the VSTs that they give you, zero. You want the clean signal of the amp

I plan on using 2 mics during profile. So i guess that doubles the number,,, I realize some plugins are more processor hungry than others.

ndross475, I can see why you are overwhelmed.

You seem to think that profiling on the Kemper involves capturing tones with effects in the chain. That would be incorrect.

If you read the Kemper manual, you will see that time based effects should not be on while profiling. The manual also indicates that fuzz effects should be avoided.

Yes, you can put a distortion pedal in front of your amp and make a profile that combines the two. But why do you think that professional profilers don't sell profiles with effects included? I've experimented with profiling a distortion pedal (my Wheebo PlexFace) by itself. But that's not the same thing as profiling it in front of my Fender Bandmaster.

In fact, until you have some experience creating quality profiles, the only sound that a profile should capture is that of the actual amp. That may or may not include a speaker cab. Whether you profile the amp with a cab depends on the type of profile you intend to make. Different profile types have different strengths and weaknesses.

I have both a Kemper (non powered rack) and a UA Apollo system with over 60 UAD2 plugins. Technically I could have profiled any of my amps with a Roland RE-201 Space Echo. Or a Lexicon 224 reverb. Or a Tube Screamer or RAT. The results would have been horrible.

The main reason to use a UA system is that the on board DSP and plugins are a fantastic near zero latency tracking system while recording.

I do use my Apollo and plugins with my Kemper as an outboard multi effect device. But not as part of a profile.

Now I have done some experiments with profiling my Mesa Rectifier Recording Preamp feeding some of the UA amp sim power amp and cabs sections. But I highly advise you stick to creating profiles with just one of your amps to get started. Making a good profile is not just about plugging things in and hitting start.

Point two. Why do you want to start out making a profile with more than a single microphone? Doing so will add complexity that is unnecessary for the process to succeed. Start with a single dynamic mic, like a Shure SM-57. Don't add a mixer. Don't worry about phantom power. Get the mic placement right with a single mic before you start having to deal with potential mic phase issues.

Point three. RTFM. If you study the manual, you will understand the differences between profile types. That subject alone is fairly complex. So take your time. Start with a Studio Profile. That's the profile type where you use a mic to capture the sound of the amp and speaker combination.

lespauled , There are no Universal Audio plugins available in VST, AU or any other native format. They are proprietary and require a UA hardware device (Apollo or Satellite or PCIe card) to run.

• Thank you all for the helpful replies... Sorry to have gone dark apparently I need to change the notification settings on my profile... In any event.

Jayson confirmed what I was thinking that the duo would be sufficient. All I will ultimately need to profile is 1 or 2 quality pre-amp plug-ins, maybe some strips, not sure that compression would be a good idea but may be interesting to try.

Scratch17 I agree starting out with a single SM57 is the way to go. I understand the "clean signal" is to be recorded. No intentions on using "effects" "tape" etc.

The reason for considering the Apollo is future-proofing. Presently I own no analog recording equipment / mixers or pre-amps, I have considered that route but also the Apollo digital route. The one thing about going the Apollo route is that once I decide I am done with it, its a pretty-easy resale.

The Rabeea video showed 2 plug-ins per channel and was pretty detailed on "how" he did it. Supporting what Jayson said, I ran his plug-ins in the processing chart and found a Mono would "maybe" cover it, but a Duo would leave breathing room.

I found the TKS video to be a good overview on the process with some great tips as well.

The pearl from both videos seems to be the "isolation" of the cab when referencing and fine tuning the profile, all 3, Rabeea, MBritt and TJ mentioned it more than once.

At the end of the day this is an unnecessary rabbit-hole, I could buy a pack or 2 of profiles and be done, I just want to see if I can do it, and learn how to do it better... Kinda like my playing, I have no vision of making a living doing it, just want to see how well I can do it.

Thanks again for all the help.

N

• DonPetersen thanks for saving the time on that experiment ....

I thought this was informative.... another "pro" advocating importance of isolation during refining...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.