Answers needed before Kemper purchase.

• Hello all. I'm researching a purchase of a Kemper and have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer. I would like to use a profiler for studio and live gigs. I currently have tube and SS amps (combos and cabs), and FX pedals.

1). The rackmount is missing two knobs that the head has - Rate and Intensity (under the Stomps area). Are these controls easy to access somewhere else? Is there any other major difference of the two types?

2). Do you need to hook up profiler to an external audio interface or does it plug straight in to computer USB for DAW.

3). Can you leave the profiler on for 5-8 hrs per day all week long without danger of overheating?

4). (weird one) Can you model a solid state amp with cab accurately?

5). To bring correct tone from studio to live gig, can you use active PA (or active monitors) rather than an active FRFR cab for both studio and live stage?

6). In case of a power failure on stage, can you reboot profiler and get right back yo your profiles in a couple of minutes? I had heard in can take up to 20 minutes.

7). Does Kemper have a computer program UI to control the profiler via USB, or do you have to use the profiler itself for all commands?

8). Can I plugin my own Pedals up front (Phaser, Flanger, Delay, Reverb, etc) with profiles and expect the same quality of sound and accurate representation as if I had the same rig in person? Can the profiler mimic an effects loop when using your own pedals?

9). Can you use an inexpensive two button foot switch to navigate profiles up-down for stage use?

Thanks for your time! I reserve the right to ask more questions. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks for your interest:

ad 1: these parameters can eb acessed in the menu easily or via Editor

ad 2: yes

ad 3: yes, no heat issues in normal environments

ad 4: yes

ad 5: yes

ad 6: normal reboot takes less than a minute - 20 minutes is absolute fake news

ad 7: yes, Rig Manager with Editor

ad 8: yes, both. You can plug your pedals between guitar and PROFILER input in an effect loop at any place within the virtual signal chain. Howver, I would recommend to test the onboard effects first and really challenge, which external effects add avlue.

ad 9: yes, Momentary (non-latching) normally open switches needed.

• 3. In direct July Sun you might have issues, but normally no. At least with mine.

8. Ive run my Kemper inputs with many pedals many times and no issues/ sounds good.

I currently just have a Wampler EGO compressor, as the gains in the Kemper work well for me in most cases.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Burkhard, spikey Thank you both for fast answers!

Last question (I think): I need to use some squeeling feedback after hitting a specific note. Like you get when standing directly in front of a cab on stage during high gain channel and playing back into the cab. Would a Kemper high gain profile react the same way if I played in front of an FRFR cab on stage or studio? I want to make sure I can duplicate my techniques used with real tube amps.

Thanks!

• Burkhard, spikey Would a Kemper high gain profile react the same way if I played in front of an FRFR cab on stage or studio?

This is definitely not the same as when monitoring via a normal guitar cab.

Which is not the fault of the Profiler but the inherent difference between a guitar cab and an FRFR cab.

That said you can always use a guitar cab, or even better, the Kemper Kabinet, with the Krmper Profiler.

• This is definitely not the same as when monitoring via a normal guitar cab.

Which is not the fault of the Profiler but the inherent difference between a guitar cab and an FRFR cab.

That said you can always use a guitar cab, or even better, the Kemper Kabinet, with the Krmper Profiler.

..although doesn't mean it won't.

I use FRFR live and regularly use musical feedback....but as Ingolf states it will react differently. I personally think the difference is slight, but so many variables.

The good news is you have so many options. If going live, I would suggest the power rack as that keeps your options open to easily use a guitar cab or FRFR. I prefer FRFR but other prefer guitar cabs.

The Kabinet is also excellent!

• If you gig a lot, then I would recommend the rack over the toaster. Get a 3-4 space rack for it (of the right depth) and it is a fantastic gig rig (with the foot controller of course).

If you mostly do recording, then the toaster does offer more physical knobs and physical feedback (LED meters around knobs which you didn't mention).

As for feedback, it depends on your guitar, the monitor you use, and the gain in the rig you use .... not so unlike a tube amp with a cab really.

It has been my experience that my KPA (rack by the way) with a DSR112 FRFR and a PRS SE Custom 24 with Bare Knuckles "Rebel Yell" pickups that it is somewhat harder to get feedback than with the guitar plugged into something like a Marshal JCM800 and a Marshal 4x12.

Now, keep in mind that the Kemper does sooooo many things better than a JCM800 that I don't mind that I need a bit more gain to get a good squeal. In fact, you can use a foot pedal and adjust the gain in real time with the kemper through its morphing capability (can't do that with a JCM either ;) ). Come to think of it, you could adjust the gain and the eq and the volume all at the same time with a single pedal to make sure you got exactly the harmonic squeal you wanted.

Not to go on and on about the capabilities, but a JCM also makes a crap Fender and a crap Mesa ..... but the Kemper can do all 3 very convincingly (nearly perfect).

• Totally!!

I think the noise gate, whilst a blessing, reduces early on set of feedback. In most cases this is good ( I often use a gretsch so...) but does mean the threshold can be a bit higher.

• 6). In case of a power failure on stage, can you reboot profiler and get right back yo your profiles in a couple of minutes? I had heard in can take up to 20 minutes.

Good morning BayouTexan!

Good questions! My Kemper will be delivered today so I'm just a bit ahead of you but no hands on experience yet.

As for the power failure scenario, perhaps a good quality high capacity Battery Backup like an APC Pro 1000 or larger might be a solution. I have those on all of our video editing computers and while they are not meant to power things for extended periods, they do allow us to save an edit and do a proper shutdown and they withstand the afternoon Florida thunderstorm momentary drops and spikes... so far. If you had more than a blip in power during a live gig, pretty much everyone else other than the drummer will be hosed as well.

Like I said, I'm totally brand new and no hands on yet so YMMV and someone else here may correct me.

Good luck! ~Robert

• Totally!!

I think the noise gate, whilst a blessing, reduces early on set of feedback. In most cases this is good ( I often use a gretsch so...) but does mean the threshold can be a bit higher.

Wow, I never thought of that. I'll try eliminating the noise gate and see how it works! I generally like a totally silent rig when I am not actively playing, but I bet you are right and my settings have been reducing my feedback sensitivity :). Thanks for the tip.

• 1 - one of the contributing factors to my decision to buy the Head rather than Rack was the additional two knobs which I thought I might use a lot. To be perfectly honest I have almost never touched them. You get into the habit of going into the FX to edit and just using the soft knobs under the screen. Its super quick and easy so don’t base your decision on the two extra knobs. For the record, I’m still glad I bought the Head and love it for its ergonomics and design plus it is so transportable in it own shoulder bag that I don’t miss a rack at all. Either would be a great option.

7 - yes there is an editor and it work well. However, the UI on the Head/Rack (and I presume Stage) is so intuitive and easy to use that the editor is only necessary for managing rigs or editing where the physical unit may be placed out of easy reach. For tweaking during rehearsals or on a gig the physical UI is amazing.

• Will this setup work on stage for a stereo profile? (forgive my drawing... it's been a while). I'm getting super close to hitting my $2500 limit - rack profiler, rack mount, monitors, cables, cords. Yikes!

Another question: Is there really a difference between the tonality of an Active FRFR monitor over using an Active Full Range monitor/PA ? Can you just re-EQ to get a similar tone from one to the other?

• i personally never use stereo on stage as it tends to make the band monitoring too confused. However, I have nearly always played in 8,9 or 10 piece bands. In a trio this might be different.

as for the question about FRFR v full range PA wedge monitors: in theory they should be the same. However, in practice PA/monitors often have an EQ peak built in to make Vocals cut through. This helps vocalists hear themselves without the volume being so high it causes feedback problems. Unfortunately, this same range can make guitars sound harsh. The only way to know for sure is to try a few speakers side by side and decide what works best for you.

• Will this setup work on stage for a stereo profile? (forgive my drawing... it's been a while). I'm getting super close to hitting my $2500 limit - rack profiler, rack mount, monitors, cables, cords. Yikes!

Another question: Is there really a difference between the tonality of an Active FRFR monitor over using an Active Full Range monitor/PA ? Can you just re-EQ to get a similar tone from one to the other?

You may be able to slim that rig down there a bit! That is a metric s**t ton of gear to be lugging out of a club at 3:00am!

1. If you have a nice PA, you don't need to have any further stage speakers pointing out at the audience.
    2. Stereo in a live setting is bad. Don't bother. Only a select few people centered directly between the FOH speakers will get the effect (if they can hear it over all the noise in the bar), and the sound from any one side will not sound as good as mono would have.
    3. If you play lead and need harmonic feedback on stage, either a Kemper Kone or a decent FRFR like the DXR10 pointed at you and appropriately angled to you is all you need. If you play rhythm, you don't need it at all in my experience (ok, there are still a few times it is nice :) ).
    4. If your playing through a PA that isn't that good, and the entire band isn't going through the PA, then I would recommend the Kemper Kone for your FOH sound and a FRFR like the dxr 10 for your monitoring.

You should either buy the Kemper Stage, or the KPA rack/toaster with the foot controller. The stage is much less expensive overall; however, I like the lack of cables around my feet having a rack with a foot controller.

If you mostly do recording, then the toaster does offer more physical knobs and physical feedback (LED meters around knobs which you didn't mention).

I didn't notice that when I did a quick comparison. I saw in a video that the toaster option even gives you LED feedback on expression pedals. So, that is something to consider.

• Stereo in a live setting is bad. Don't bother. Only a select few people centered directly between the FOH speakers will get the effect (if they can hear it over all the noise in the bar), and the sound from any one side will not sound as good as mono would have.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This!

I hate hearing bands in pubs and clubs that are mixed in stereo. It isn’t uncommon to have absolutely no audible guitar on one side of stage (usually the side I’m at ?)

• I didn't notice that when I did a quick comparison. I saw in a video that the toaster option even gives you LED feedback on expression pedals. So, that is something to consider.

One of the reasons I went for the Toaster was the extra knobs and LEDs. To be absolutely honest, I don’t think I have actually ever used them in the two and a half years I have owned it.