Terratec Axon Ax-100

• No I'd not heard of of this either......

I've added another guitar to midi device to my rack. A Terratec Axon AX-100 Guitar to Midi Controller.

Discontinued a long time ago - this is a kind of rival to the Roland GR55 using the same 13 pin midi pickup tech. It generates midi note info from each string and passes it to an internal sound card for some 'average' onboard synth sounds and effects (pitch, reverb, aprgiator etc). BUT - its designed to also trigger external synths - which it does very well. It does this with minimal latency and whereas the GR55 triggers external synths slowly and .... quickly gets swamped and misses notes....the Axon doesn't (at least not with my playing). So I can happily tinkle away on NI Kontakt or other pc based synths(I thought of getting a rack based synth engine...... then saw their cost and gave up on the idea).

Yippee !! It works well with my existing electric fitted with a Roland 13 hexaphonic pickup, and my Godin Multi Ac ACS with its piezo pickups.

It has alot of settings in common with the GR55 on note detection etc and has a native Editor which is pretty cool (half of the complaints about guitar to midi could be solved by adjusting the in depth sensitivity/trigger settings IMHO). It has fairly cool string and fret splitting settings so different areas of the fretboard can be different pitches or instruments.

My rack is now full....

I still have the Roland GR-55 in my rack - its not going anywhere .

[why yes, I do have to label my pedal drawers with their loop number..... I'm forgetful]

• Touché! ... I went through the whole nine yards from the ‘Dalek’s Handbag’ GR 700 -> GR70 (that was good)-> GR 50 (OK) and then the Axon - I also have the Godin Multiac (Nylon) My rack synths have (mostly) gone the way of all things now so I’m limited to various plugins in Logic. I think I’ll dust off the Godin and have a fiddle around - thanks for the nudge! Skål! ?

• The editor is pretty sweet. Roland should have made something like this for the GR range of pedals (although GRFloorboard is very cool)

Some of the option pages

individual preset options

The Appreciator !

Chains (one preset after another)

midi assignments (no digging out the manual or pdf!)