Mississippi Queen tone

• 8)Sunn PA Head on Eminence speakers. LP Jr. P90's

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• https://topjimi.com/collection…mississippi-mountain-pack

Demo -

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You gotta have the right guns when you enter the town of tone. And please, shoot ALL fanboys you come across!

• Needs more cowbell. :)

Mississippi Queen is one of my all time favorite songs. The tone's not that big of a deal today, but back then this sound was just nasty. We all wanted it, but there was no Internet and most of use just assumed the standard Marshall thing with some twist to it to make it snarl like that. It's the same with the first couple of Z. Z. Top albums. if you listen to them today the guitars sound okay, but they really stood out back then as they had a distinctive tone compared with Gibbons' contemporaries.

As it turns out, this is probably the most counter-intuitive guitar rig in rock history. I remember those Sunn Coliseum PAs (not fondly). And Eminence speakers for rock and roll? Just the thought of that combination would have me running from the room. And yet...

I never realized he played with thin picks, and I also notice in both videos it's a P90 pickup, which I also wouldn't have guessed as I was assuming humbuckers. I saw Leslie West in the early 80s when I was working in New York but don't remember his rig (or much of anything else from that period of my life).

I have an M. Britt Friedman profiled with a Klon in front that I use for this kind of thing. It's a good, punchy rock sound, but I'm not striving for authenticity.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10