Noise problem with Kemper Toaster - Hiss behind the notes

• Hello guys, I wonder if you could help me. I am posting a sample on this link

https://drive.google.com/file/…plDVVRNl/view?usp=sharing

and the profile with the exact settings below. Can you please record and post a clip with a few sustaining notes with the exact same profile to see if it's only me or the profile in general?

You can clearly hear the hiss behind the sustaining notes. I know it's subtle but in recording situations I need a perfectly clear signal.

I tested different rooms, cables, headphones, guitars but the problem remains.

Any help please before opening a ticket?

Thanks in advance.

• Are you playing with single coils?

I tried the rig above and I do get the "noise" when using single coils, but not when playing my DiMarzio noiseless.

Do you have Kemper noise gate (not the stomp) activated? When I set it to zero I can hear some noise from single coils without playing too. When I turn it up, I can only hear it when notes ring out. This effect could maybe be increased by the rig settings (graphic eq, amp compressor, treble up...).

• Are you playing with single coils?

I tried the rig above and I do get the "noise" when using single coils, but not when playing my DiMarzio noiseless.

Do you have Kemper noise gate (not the stomp) activated? When I set it to zero I can hear some noise from single coils without playing too. When I turn it up, I can only hear it when notes ring out. This effect could maybe be increased by the rig settings (graphic eq, amp compressor, treble up...).

Thank you for taking the time! On the posted sample it's a DiMarzio cruiser which is basically a humbucker. And I have the noise gate on at a low setting, you can hear that when I stop playing there is no hiss. The hiss becomes more obvious at the decay of the sustaining notes, just before the noise gate kicks in. So it's dead quiet on you with humbuckers or noiseless? I mean dead-dead quiet? Would it be possible to post a sample please?

• I also notice this on every profile, regardless of pickup type.

Yes me too. Every profile every guitar, and with single coils the problem of course is even bigger. At more gainy profiles it can be ok if I dont clean up the tone with the volume pot (then it happens) but on clean-ish and breakup profiles it just makes them unusable for professional recording situations.

• There's a compressor that pushes the sound AND noise while it decays. I can hear that the noise slowly gets louder while the sound tries to sustain. Remove the compressor (either stomp or in the amp block).

Already done that, it's not the compressor. The problem is that noise exists behind the note and when the note fades and before the noise gate kicks in the noise becomes more prominent.

• The problem is that noise exists behind the note and when the note fades and before the noise gate kicks in the noise becomes more prominent.

That's the effect of compression. Regular noise would be constant, in the example you shared the noise gets louder while the note tries to fade. This is the indication for compression going on. :)

Again: Check the AMP block and turn the compression parameter all the way down.

• That's the effect of compression. Regular noise would be constant, in the example you shared the noise gets louder while the note tries to fade. This is the indication for compression going on. :)

Again: Check the AMP block and turn the compression parameter all the way down.

As I said, I already have done that, no change at all. The noise is still behind the notes and becomes more obvious as the notes fade.

• I just downloaded your rig ... the Compression parameter in the AMP block is at 3.8 ... when I turn it down completely, I can very much hear a difference.

Also I noticed that you have an insane Rig Volume (+8.3dB) and a Graphic Equalizer that actually pushes the noise yet again by its settings and its output volume of +0.8dB. So maybe you're also having some issues with proper gain staging.

General remarks:

rmpacheco's Morgan AC20 is a great profile and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for recording. Maybe you just tweaked it into a corner, hehe. For example: What's the Power Sagging setting of +10 supposed to do? The Morgan AC20 isn't a monstrous amp and I very much doubt its transformer would ever be too small and the rectifier tube too "hot" to run into massive power sagging. You rather keep the (limited) headroom this amp has, imho.

• Just for the fun of it, I loaded the factory profile and the only thing I did was to set compressor on the amp block to zero. Problem remains

https://drive.google.com/file/…pbHcWLXA/view?usp=sharing

but the whole point of this is to see if it's only my toaster's problem or it's a general problem. That's why I've attached the profile. If nobody has the same problem with the exact same profile it means that it's either an electricity thing or a faulty toaster. Or maybe everyone has it and it's normal I don;t know. But I can see here and at other posts that many people have the same problem.

• I have to turn the playback pretty loud to hear the background noise ... and in the latest clip it's already less and it's not increasing anymore during the decay. It's perfectly fine for recording.

Keep in mind that there IS differences between amps / profiles as well. Some are almost HiFi clean and others have a bit of noise. Depends on the amps and the signal chain during profiling. The level of noise this last clip has is perfectly fine to use. Once the guitar is "embedded" in a band context it will seem to be dead silent. :) Also keep in mind, you're playing electric guitar through virtual analog amplification. It should never be as synthetic clean as a digital synthesizer. It's part of the experience to sometimes deal with a bit of noise., hehe. Ask Rory Gallagher for more details. :D

Obviously I can't speak for your monitoring situation, e.g. how loud you listen while playing, whether you monitor through PA speakers or studio monitors. But I can tell you, I listen through VERY good mastering reference monitors and I have to really push the volume quite a bit to hear the noise in a negative way. I would NEVER listen a full band at this level while mixing / mastering.

• I have to turn the playback pretty loud to hear the background noise ... and in the latest clip it's already less and it's not increasing anymore during the decay. It's perfectly fine for recording.

Keep in mind that there IS differences between amps / profiles as well. Some are almost HiFi clean and others have a bit of noise. Depends on the amps and the signal chain during profiling. The level of noise this last clip has is perfectly fine to use. Once the guitar is "embedded" in a band context it will seem to be dead silent. :) Also keep in mind, you're playing electric guitar through virtual analog amplification. It should never be as synthetic clean as a digital synthesizer. It's part of the experience to sometimes deal with a bit of noise., hehe. Ask Rory Gallagher for more details. :D

Obviously I can't speak for your monitoring situation, e.g. how loud you listen while playing, whether you monitor through PA speakers or studio monitors. But I can tell you, I listen through VERY good mastering reference monitors and I have to really push the volume quite a bit to hear the noise in a negative way. I would NEVER listen a full band at this level while mixing / mastering.

The problem in the new clip is audible through my yamaha msp-5, but even more audible through my phone, where the lower frequencies are less forward. Listen through your phone and the hiss is super-loud! This doesn't seem normal to me for such a low gain profile.

But let's return to the main point of this thread ? does it happen to everyone or is it just me? You seem to have a nice studio and if you could record a few sustaining notes with the attached profile and post them here would solve a lot of my problems ?

• The only thing I am picking up using the un-tweaked amp settings and a strat is noise the gate is not shutting down due to volume of note that is high enough to ring (hope that made sense). Hearing some gain behind the note. Between the recorded sample and my environment not sure anything is wrong but I am not in the room to hear what you are noticing.

Playing through a Kabinet and imprint. Pretty spanky sounding profile!