Kemper Profiler controlled via MIDI from DAW Tutorial

• Hi

I do not own an expression pedal yet and was trying to do something like this using Reaper.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is there a tutorial for this anywhere? i am able to do some basic stuff like turning effects on and off.

I am not sure how to do things like control the wah like 49s in the video.

I have gone through the Profiler MIDI Parameter Documentation a couple of times.

I am slowly getting my head around. I am well versed in Hex since I come from an engineering background.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

• Drained it!

As I mentioned turning on/off effects was working and was easy to do. Where I hit a snag was that I was not setting the CC Shape correctly for my data. It defaults to Square.

I added a few Data Entry 14-Bit (6/38)s in Reaper's MIDI Event List and then changed the CC Shape to linear. Once I had them where I wanted them in my session (measures) I copied and pasted in the Piano Roll view at the bottom.

I HTH someone who may have this question someday.

Brian

• Yes please. I have been looking into this and have realised that I'm pretty MIDI ignorant. Cant even program a preset change.

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. I need "Reaper-Kemper for dummies" ! =O

• Yes please. I have been looking into this and have realised that I'm pretty MIDI ignorant. Cant even program a preset change.

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. I need "Reaper-Kemper for dummies" ! =O

I am still learning.

Basically what I did was to create a new Track in Reaper and insert a MIDI item on it. Then I dragged the right side of the MIDI item to make it longer to get the length I wanted and then glued it.

I doubled clicked the MIDI item to open it in the MIDI editor. From there I clicked the icon at the top on the left (3rd from left for me) to open the Event list. I then added CC99 with a value of 53 and CC98 with the value of 8 to select stomp D (53) of my loaded Performance and 8 to edit the Wah Manual parameter. After I went back into the Piano Roll view by clicking the icon on the top left.

I went to the measure where I wanted to start controlling the Wah Manual setting in Reaper and on the bottom left I added under More (CC0-31 14-Bit) a 06/38 Data Entry 14-bit point. Then I want back to the Event list and edited the 06/38 I just added to make it Linear. The Linear setting is what I talked about earlier. It defaults to Square.

Then back to Piano roll where I copied and pasted the first 06/38 Data Entry 14-bit point to the next measure (or where ever you want it.) Then I positioned each point where one was low and the other high and copied them and pasted them along the next measures.

Moving them up or down sets the data value. If you back to the Event lists, you will see this.

It is easier than all that text looks.

Now I am fooling around with trying to scroll through Slots in a Performance.

Let me know if that makes and sense.

Good luck.

Brian

• I wanted to add another video link that helped me some as well.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Boy I am kicking myself. I was seeing the Wah Manual in Rig Manager move when I press play in Reaper as it should move. Like a dummy I made the huge mistake of assuming that all works correctly. That is when I send CC messages from Reaper that Rig Manager would update to reflect the changes. Not good. Since it doesn't.

I finally got the bright idea to look over my shoulder at the actual Kemper 3 feet away from me to see it changing like it should.

I wonder if this is a bug or WAD? Working as designed. I do not know if what I am trying is officially supported by Kemper or not.

Does anyone know?

Also one thing you want to do in Reaper is load midiMonitor 1.3 on the MIDI track. I was using JS MIDI logger prior and it is not so great.

midiMonitor displays the data beautifully. You can see the Hex as well as the CC info.

This is from midiMonitor 1.3.

B0 2F 00 Ch.1 CC #47 (), Value: 0

B0 63 00 Ch.1 CC #99 (Non-registered Parameter (coarse)), Value: 0

B0 62 00 Ch.1 CC #98 (Non-registered Parameter (fine)), Value: 0

B0 2F 03 Ch.1 CC #47 (), Value: 3

B0 31 00 Ch.1 CC #49 (), Value: 0

B0 2F 00 Ch.1 CC #47 (), Value: 0

B0 63 00 Ch.1 CC #99 (Non-registered Parameter (coarse)), Value: 0

B0 62 00 Ch.1 CC #98 (Non-registered Parameter (fine)), Value: 0

B0 2F 03 Ch.1 CC #47 (), Value: 3

B0 31 00 Ch.1 CC #49 (), Value: 0

This tools make it a breeze to compare what Reaper is sending to the Profiler MIDI Parameter Documentation found here at the bottom.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads/5/User-Manuals

Brian

• "Boy I am kicking myself. I was seeing the Wah Manual in Rig Manager move when I press play in Reaper as it should move. Like a dummy I made the huge mistake of assuming that all works correctly. That is when I send CC messages from Reaper that Rig Manager would update to reflect the changes. Not good. Since it doesn't."

Well this seems to be working now. Not sure why it was not updating initially but now RM shows the changes.

• Baby steps, but we are getting somewhere. :)

I've managed to get some stuff working ( Slot changes, stomp activation ) . Still very confused about some stuff, but will work it out slowly going through the forum's threads.

The road is long.....

Thanks for the assistance

• Baby steps, but we are getting somewhere. :)

I've managed to get some stuff working ( Slot changes, stomp activation ) . Still very confused about some stuff, but will work it out slowly going through the forum's threads.

The road is long.....

Thanks for the assistance

that is fantastic news.

and you are welcome.

• Hi,

Apologies for such a basic noob question. How are you guys connecting your Kemper to your computer to allow Reaper to interface with it and send all those midi control messages?
    Being able to play without having to tap dance would be really great in a duo when I have to sing, play, loop and do back flips etc. (Ok, the back flips are a fib but how cool would that be?)

I assume I need som midi cables etc but do they plug in direct to the pc? Is there any other software involved! I assume that midiMonitor 1.3 is a plug-in?

I have the remote for live use in a band situation but I’ve been producing various backing tracks that I am considering using in my duo. As we’d be tied to the backing sequence, I reckon automated switching could make performing much easier? Or am I dreaming?

Cheers

Pre-Amp

Edited once, last by Pre-Amp ().

• Hi Pre-Amp,

Right now I am using a USB to MIDI interface only because ATM I do not have an audio interface with a fully functioning MIDI interface. Yeah my $2k+ Lynx Aurora has MIDI ports but they do not support MIDI but are there for file updates and such.

I plan to buy a cheap Focusrite and use it when I am ready to get back out there.

What I have is similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/VicTsin…ard-Adapter/dp/B00ACGMOA6

It is finnicky but at least allows me to experiment.

Yes MidiMonitor is a plugin.

I guess the ease depends on how complicated you want to make it :)

But for what I plan to do, it is pretty easy.

Brian

• Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I have almost exactly the same cable somewhere in my collection. I’ll dig it out and give it a go when I have a few hours to spend on working out how to do all this.
    Cheers

Pre-Amp