What is the difference between an IR and an Amp Profile?

• Can someone explain to me , in layman's terms, the difference of IR profiles like used in a Helix compared to amp profiles used in the Kemper? I understand that an IR is a "snapshot" of a cab mic'd up that is put into a small .wav file and loaded into software to emulate an actual mic'd cab. I don't understand the process of how that .wav file is used to create a virtual cabinet. I though that IR's and Profiles are just basically an EQ setting.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• a true IR is essentially an EQ curve unique to that speaker, cab and mic selection. The cab portion of a Kemper profile is still pretty much that but the eq curve has some amp properties baked into it. Less so if its a studio profile but still not as perfect on paper as an isolated capture of a speaker IR.

Helix actually models the cabinet and mic technology so instead of selecting a 1x12 Jensen and sm57 IR file, you can just dial in those settings to varying degrees of success.

• I'm using the *Helix* Native plugin, and not having any degrees of success. I've got only 6 usable high gain tones, and they only good for practice - nothing you want people to hear. Trying user presets and user IR's and it still sounds lame.

Edited 2 times, last by BayouTexan: Helix (not Kemper) was the correct word. ().

• Totally understand why you cannot get any usable sounds with the Kemper native plugin. Makes sense!

(hint: there is no such thing).

Can you describe what you are using again?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Totally understand why you cannot get any usable sounds with the Kemper native plugin. Makes sense!

(hint: there is no such thing).

Can you describe what you are using again?

Sorry. 8| I typed the wrong word. Corrected. Thanks!