What is/ How to get this tone - Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey @ Austin City Limits

• Specifically when he comes in at the A major chord at 56 seconds, directly linked below.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Anybody have any tips on what this tone even is, or how to dial it in on a kemper?

I am playing on a PRS Silver Sky and Chris' guitar in the performance is a Fender Jazzmaster (I think).

This is a close up ( I think ), of his amp.

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/cshe14Z.png]

• My take on it: use a profile that just breaks up when you hit it hard. The sound on the recording has LOTS of reverb. Stapleton is using a Princeton (I think). His tone is mid-range heavy (IMO).

On your Silver Sky, use the neck pickup. Hit just the highest 2-3 strings for the "skanks" on 2 & 4. Pick near the bridge for the single-note lines.

Be Thankful.

Edited once, last by kevinduren ().

• One thing to note: nothing else sounds like a Jazzmaster. They have a unique sound, due to the design of the tailpiece/bridge, and the pickups. They have very little sustain, but a very distinctive voice, especially on those plucked wound strings on the lower frets.
    In my opinion, the sound he gets is way more about the guitar than it is about the amp.

• Yep, I agree with Horpip. So, don't use any compression, and maybe turn down the amp compression as well.

In trying to get that less-sustainy sound using a strat-type guitar, experiment with you palm muting. Or try using some kind of dampener: weave a handkerchief, dollar bill (or what ever paper currency you have), duct tape, etc. etc.) through the strings near the bridge.

Be Thankful.

• This song (and the Fender guitar and amp sound) reminds me of “I would rather go blind” by Etta James:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• He's either using his vintage '62 brownfaced Princeton (w/12") or the new Fender signature they made for him.. '92 Princeton PtoP with a 12" signature WeberVST speaker..

I'd LOVE to find a good '62 Princeton rig...