Dead sound out of Low E string (In Drop C) when ringing out higher notes.

• Another point is how we hear it when othera play a profile vs how we percieve when we play it. We might think it sucks or just sounds mediocre while other will say it sounds good and truly mean it. Let other listen and judge. Sure we must like it. But sometimes it can becuase we gone thru many profiles and eventually they all will sound the same more or less after a while. Always start with fresh ears when trying out new profles. And record and let them be for at least a couple of days. You might find out that profile that was a nay is a yay.

Totally...totally...totally :)

• Nuno said it about the EVH rig as well....he said he couldn;t believe he got to play through his hero's rig, only to sound....like himself :)

Yes...it was Nuno. I've heard that guitar sounds like crap when someone plays it. Nugent plugged into EVH rig when they played together...same result.

• You guys are great! I agree with you, maybe I do sound good to other people’s ears but it doesn’t to me. The original reason for this thread is why I cast doubt on the Kemper. I hear dead notes.

Not from speaker position in the room, not from a guitar that is not setup, not from my ears wanting the kemper to sound exactly like a pro musicians rig, but because it doesn’t work like it should. Hopefully the sound engineers and bright minds that work for Kemper figure this out!

• I did the same thing but I’m still struggling with the sound. A few metal bands I listen to use kemper and they sound phenomenal but they profile their own amps. I have not profiled an amp yet so maybe that produces the most accurate sound. Maybe profiles are losing something when uploaded to the internet?

The issue isn’t that profiles lose something but rather that we all play differently, use different guitars, pick etc and (perhaps most importantly) place our guitar tones in a different mix. The sound of everything else around our guitar impacts on how we perceive the sound of our guitar itself.

We all have different ideas of sonic nirvana and probably all hear the same tone in our own unique way. Two people listening to the same Nuno tone may actually perceive it slightly differently. Therefore, if you really want to guarantee you get the tone you are chasing, there is no substitute for making your own profiles. Don’t be scared of doing it. It is so easy that anyone can do it and get great results.

No matter how good another profiler is technically (whether commercial or free profiles on Rig Exchange) the profiles are always someone else’s interpretation of great tone. Fortunately, there does seem to be a fair amount of commonality in what we each perceive as good tone for a given genre but there are also enough differences that there is not such thing as the “best amp XYZ” profile; only the best for you/me for a specific situation. Every commercial profiler has their own unique style. No matter what amp they are profiling they create profiles that THEY like the sound of.

• I play high gain tones mostly in drop C and drop B, through an FRFR speaker, a traditional 2x12 cab, and recording with studio monitors. I use profiles and IRs from a multitude of different sources, and I have not had this issue being described. Maybe some things to check on that might be contributing to your issues:

• Input - Distortion Sense: bump that up to 2-3db. Sometimes that makes a profile sounds bigger
    • Definition - turning that up all the way does add definition, but it also takes away low end
    • Clarity - really depends on the profile, but this usually makes a high gain profile sound thin when it's set higher than 2-3. This and definition are very interactive with each other
    • Pick - have you adjusted this? If you're using mega high output pickups and you've also adjusted this to the right, then that could be a cause of your issue
    • Cabinet - Pure Cab: I like this at or around 5. It adds a lot of fullness to the sound
    • Output - Space: make sure Space is off for your master output. That could be messing with your tone when you play through a cabinet.