The time has come... I'm selling my tube amps!

• It took me 1,5 years to get to this point but now it's finally happening it seems... I'm selling all my tube amps! I got my KPA after hearing Mark Knopfler play through one during his 2019 tour. At that point it wasn't announced yet that he played through the KPA and I was convinced that his amps were mic'ed up somewhere backstage. I could have sworn he was playing through his Komet, Tone King or whatever. At first I could not believe that he played through a KPA so I went to a second show and was equally impressed.

I got my KPA and have been very happy with it ever since. At first I mainly played it through my studio monitors and only recently have I used the power amp for the first time through a guitar cabinet. It seems that this gave me the final bump to get rid of my tube amps. I have four Two-Rock amps, three Marshalls, two Ceriatones and one Tone King that I have acquired throughout the years. The last time one of them got fired up must have been more than six months ago and I play on a daily basis.

I just love the consistency, the reliability, the ergonomics, just about everything this unit has to offer. Of course I'm emotionally attached to my tube amps, but is that enough argument to keep them? I don't think so... these things need to be played, not only loved. I'm still a little bit hesitant as it somewhat reminds me of people selling analog studio gear in the 80s and 90s when Pro Tools etc came into play, only to regret it later on, but all this gear just takes up to much space, not only in my studio but also in my head ("the things you own, end up owning you").

Let me know what you guys think... perhaps you strongly advice me not to sell my amps, who knows ;)

• Thanks, haha! Yes there are some heavy bastards among them... my first one-walk-from-car-to-stage gig with the KPA is an experience I'll never forget. I am keeping the cabs however, specially a 1x12 Two-Rock, 2x12 Two-Rock and 2x12 Marshall.

I must add though that 95% of the time I play my own profiles of these amps. I have a recording studio so I have made quite some profiles of each of these amps with quality mics and preamps.

• It takes guts to let them go but I sold mine pretty soon after I got my KPA.

I compare it to digital photography....do I look back at 35mm film now with nostalgia? Do I hell...give me digital everyday. Even if it gave me only 95% sound satisfation, I'd take the flex and conveience everyday. The fact that I'm totally happy with the sound ( well as happy as I've ever been...who ever stays happy with their sound as it varies from night to night) is a bonus.

The only thing I would say...profile the hell out of them before you sell, then you are less likely to regret it :)

One final thought...we all have rose tinted spectacles....I played a 5150 profile and thought it was a bit fizzy....I got a chance to play a real 5150 at rehearsal....guess what...it was a bit fizzy for my tastes...there is a big psychological aspect to this guitar stuff.

• I got my KPA and have been very happy with it ever since.

I just love the consistency, the reliability, the ergonomics, just about everything this unit has to offer.

This. Same here. Can't agree more.

For that reason my love to the valve amps has really cooled down. Actually I have not appetite to go back to those times of moving that big, fat 4x12 ENGL cab on any stage and see the sound guys' shocked eyes. All of this is so much easier with the Kemper. So I sold most of my stuff. Maybe I would keep more if my house would be way bigger. But probably I would not use the stuff more then anyways.

perhaps you strongly advice me not to sell my amps, who knows

Not me. But don't listen to us. Follow your gut feeling :)

• I sold my tubeamp and the board some weeks after I got my stage. I never missed the analog gear;-)

Sorting out is confronting with the dogma! For instance: you can't sell things attached to memories.

"Yes we can!" ;) And we gain some freedom....

• Well, I for one keep one amp of any kind, can’t imagine to ever sell them all.

I think it depends on how "special" or replaceable they are. I used to run ENGL's which I think I could go and buy again very easily. Maybe not so easy for a Two rock??

I kept a Laney GH100L because its not worth selling and an emergency backup, but never used it since having my KPA ;).

Free up the money and buy more guitars!!!!!

• Well, I for one keep one amp of any kind, can’t imagine to ever sell them all.

Thanks Ingolf. Do you still use them frequently?

I think it depends on how "special" or replaceable they are. I used to run ENGL's which I think I could go and buy again very easily. Maybe not so easy for a Two rock??

I kept a Laney GH100L because its not worth selling and an emergency backup, but never used it since having my KPA ;).

Free up the money and buy more guitars!!!!!

Yes all those Two-Rocks are no longer produced but they have been replaced by (arguably improved) models in the current lineup.

Perhaps it's somewhat more of a vanity thing as well... Seeing that wall of amps and cabs makes my crotch tingle. Don't know if that's reason enough to keep them :D

• Thanks Ingolf. Do you still use them frequently?

Yes all those Two-Rocks are no longer produced but they have been replaced by (arguably improved) models in the current lineup.

Perhaps it's somewhat more of a vanity thing as well... Seeing that wall of amps and cabs makes my crotch tingle. Don't know if that's reason enough to keep them :D

Hey, we all love that look and kudos ;). There is always that dread that you might change your mind later and then want to get your amp back, but if you could go and buy another one tomorrow ( unless you think yours has some mojo...handwired can have some variation etc) then I think the risk is low.

In all honesty its only really about money and sentiment for me as I haven't played anything other than my KPA for 6 years.

• Hey, we all love that look

Somebody posted this wonderful picture here some time ago. The looks and the weight can be separated to a certain extent 8o I love that one and don't want to know how often this was the case even in times before the Kemper. I remember a great gig by Alice In Chains 10/12 years ago when some of the tecs explained to me that Jerry's sound was fully coming from an isolation box behind the stage... certainly they enjoyed my face a lot back then 8)

• Thanks Ingolf. Do you still use them frequently?

Yes, I do.
    I have a Morgan Dual 40, a Vox AC 30 Head and 2x12 cab, and a Marshall JVM 410JS (Joe Satriani) Head. They all get played regularly, and I still have amp G.A.S. from time to time.

At the moment I'm debating if I should buy a Marshall Studio Classic Head (Mini JCM 800).

Real amps will always hold their validity to me.

• Yes, I do.
    I have a Morgan Dual 40, a Vox AC 30 Head and 2x12 cab, and a Marshall JVM 410JS (Joe Satriani) Head. They all get played regularly, and I still have amp G.A.S. from time to time.

At the moment I'm debating if I should buy a Marshall Studio Classic Head (Mini JCM 800).

Real amps will always hold their validity to me.

Thanks Ingolf. Could you elaborate as to why you think that is the case?

• Somebody posted this wonderful picture here some time ago. The looks and the weight can be separated to a certain extent 8o I love that one and don't want to know how often this was the case even in times before the Kemper. I remember a great gig by Alice In Chains 10/12 years ago when some of the tecs explained to me that Jerry's sound was fully coming from an isolation box behind the stage... certainly they enjoyed my face a lot back then 8)

I mean, yeah, the guitar cabs are empty, but they're playing through a $100k PA system. Since it's unlikely I'll ever play through a PA system with even 1/10 of the power, I'll stand by my 2x12 cab. ?