Anyone using a HX Effects in 4CM with Kemper?

• Don't take this the wrong way and please correct this as needed. :)

Just wondered if someone found a better way yet regarding Midi CC messages? I found that altho I liked the many (HX Effects) distortion and compression stomps in front of the KPA, and all of the reverbs and delays after the "X", the fact that I can't control the Line-6 HX Effects from the KPA (because the KPA does not send Midi CC messages that I know of) to control the HX Effects settings per patch kinda suxs. This means that if the Kemper "DID" send Midi CC messages to turn on and off stomp/pedal or racks in the HX Effects, then I could set up multi-effects (in the HX editor via the control panel) for every profile in my KPA and then "control" the HX Effects settings via the Kemper remote!

Some might say, well just use the FX inside the Kemper. I've done that and it's not a bad choice at all. I just want the "options" available via Midi CC messages (sent from Kemper).

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

Edited once, last by spikey ().

• I use an HXFX with the KPA but, in front and as a controller (I don't like the KPA remote) I tried the 4 cable method but the latency was too much (15ms - I have an H9 attached as well).

So, currently, the HX is my on my board and I'm working with a combination of HX/KPA FX as a front end. As it turns out I can use snapshots to alter a number of things on the KPA while retaining the same general FX setup on the HX, eg (an extreme example) I can have 4 different phase/vibe sounds in A,B,C,D and can select the best one for the 'job', save that snapshot which then become the patch that is selected each time on the HX. I keep one of the HX buttons (in pedal board mode) as a Snapshot select so I can cycle through easily. I'm of the opinion that no one piece of kit (including the KPA) can do everything and am happy to mix and match to get what I need (best wah is in the H9 IMHO!).

• Thanks Andy for your input! :)

So when you say "as a controller", you are only controlling the HX Effects while the Kemper stays on the same profile? Or did you you mean via "Midi", you are controlling the profile choices on the Kemper from the HX Effects? If you are using Midi to control the Kemper from the HX, can you explain how you did this??

Thanks again!

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

• Ah yes, should have said ... the HX controls everything (KPA, H9 and a Molten Voltage SIMI - look it up) via MIDI

It's (HX) also set on channel 16 (KPA on 1, H9 on 2 ,SIMI on 3) so that any changes elsewhere have to be set per patch (this avoids the KPA simply ghosting the HX patch numbers). This way, I can call up/alter a profile/patch from anywhere in the KPA (I keep generic banks in the higher performances). I use the HX instant settings(lightning flashes) in command centre.

Why all this complexity? ... because I very rarely play a fixed/pre-arranged set, so it has to be cobbled together on the day from a generic start, in-between sight reading the charts!

• Thanks Guys!

• hi

I'm using this method as well

It enables to stack extra effects In the loop and after the amp but I prefer the kemper delay and reverb so just use hx into front of kemper mainly

Hx effects sends cc messages to the kemper

I am using the hx controller to change performance slots and also turn both effects on and off on kemper and hx at the same time

I also use the hx to change synth patches and play samples on my keyboard via the foot switches by note on off messages

It takes some programming but once you figure it out you can copy and paste the settings quickly across performance and then build setlist in hx programs