Asking for advice on specific tone

• I've been recently asked to make a few gigs with a Bowie Tribute band and the guys sent me some live stuff to base my sound off.

I've settled for this kind of sound as a base:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Now, it should be pretty straight forward, the guy plays on Orange amps and humbucker (though kind of particular) guitars and has a pretty bassy/mid-range presence to it. I went for a british vintagey amp but I can't seem to get sustain without giving the sound too much high frequncies and loosing body. Also I have two guitars to choose from, a 335 kind of axe which has humbuckers (although pretty bright and low output for a humbucker) or a strat with singles. I'd like to use the strat but I'd have to compensate for the sc quite a bit. How would you approach this? I'd considering a mid gain rig and adding some push in from the amp, I'd rather not eq after stack though, don't really have a reason, just a preference.

Any input appreciated.

• 335, bridge humbucker would be my choice.
    Sustain comes from volume, new strings & a properly set up guitar (nut slot depth, neck relief, string height) and possibly no noise gate ;)

turn down definition to make the sound fatter, use Amp Compression (in the AMP slot) if needed, instead of a stomp compressor