Kemper Audio Quieter in DAW? Help!

• Hey guys, I am having a discrepancy between my headphone audio, and recorded audio in DAW, the DAW audio is significantly quieter than what I hear playing into my headphones. All DAW settings unchanged/neutral, so it has to be the Kemper, also have both Kemper and headphones plugged into a Scarlett Interface but I don't think that really matters. Currently output settings are:

Pg 1

• Main Output (Master Mono) *using mono cause my other slot is for my mic, this is not the issue*
    • Monitor Output (Off)
    • Direct Output (Off)
    • SPDIF Output (Off)
    • as for the button settings - Main Out -12dB (Off)
    • Monitor Cab (Off)
    • Monitor Stereo (Off)

Pg 2

• All volumes (main, monitor, direct, headphone) set to max (0.0dB)
    • Main Out Link (On)
    • Monitor Out Link (On)
    • Direct Out Link (On)
    • Headphones Link (On)

Pg 3

• Everything (bass, mid, treble, presence) set to 0.0
    • Monitor Cab (Off)

Pg 4 isn't touched, so Pg 5

• Pure Cab (3.5)
    • Space (2.5)
    • Pure Cab (On)
    • Space>HeadphOnly (On)

Pg 6 everything off/0.0, so Pg 7

• Sweetening (0.0)
    • Monitor Volume (0.0dB)
    • Imprint Select (Celestian Vintage 30)
    • Directivity (5.0)
    • Kemper Kone(Off)
    • Monitor Stereo (Off)
    • Monitor Cab (Off)

Also audio level issues aside, please tell me if there's any pro tip changes I should make to any of these settings, such as turning Pure Cab on or something!

• This is normal. The Kemper headphone amp is really powerful. If I plug in headphones directly, it is far louder than if I plugged my headphones into any of my interfaces.

What is the recorded signal peaking at? At maximum with -12db, you should have a pretty robust signal and have nothing to worry about.

• Hello colleagues,

I have a similar problem with S/PDIF recording.

I renewed my Focusrite Scarlett yesterday for an 8i6 that has S/PDIF, to record with the Kemper. When I tried it and heard it through the Focusrite, at first I thought it was losing a lot of quality. But then I realized that the problem was that I was getting the signal with much less volume (affected, obviously, to the quality, warmth and bass of the guitar tone). Turning up the volume of the headphones (3/4 of the wheel) has come to equal the volume of the Kemper sounding good, the thing is that at that volume, any other sound from the PC or DAW leaves me deaf.

Would anyone know why I get so little signal? Complete with tests and my setup:

I've synchronised the card and Kemper both at 44.1kh. Then I tried 48kh. I have set the clock to S/PDIF (in internal it sounded bad, clicking). From Focusrite Control I couldn't upload the SPDIF signal anymore because it clicked despite sounding low. Inside the Kemper I have set the volume to the maximum in OUTPUT in the SPDIF section ....(0dbs)

I can't think of any more ideas, but this problem totally blocks any recording I want to make, as the guitars are very low compared to any other instrument. (And it can't be adjusted with volume settings).

I hope I have explained myself...

Thanks in advance

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Hi lightbox. My monitor mix is up (btw it doesn't affect de signals of my headphone) and the S/PDIF fader is up. I got it in stereo 1&2.

• My monitor mix is up (btw it doesn't affect de signals of my headphone) and the S/PDIF fader is up

Well, if it doesn't affect your headphones, then check the headphones mix ... whatever you're monitoring through, check the mix.

Once you've checked that ... and you still feel like the guitar is too low in relation to e.g. a song or backing track from Youtube ... well, turn Youtube down a bit. Keep in mind that the music has already been mixed and mastered ... while your guitar tone is still (relatively) raw. Just use the tools you have (monitor mixes) to balance things out. That's what they're made for.

• Thank you once again for your contribution.

I don't think it's a question of the monitor mix as the volume problem is played back when recording. I have to lower the fade of the rest of the tracks to half, and maximize the volume of the Kemper's. You can see that few DBs arrive in comparison with other sounds (mastered or unmastered). You talk about backingstracks but I use it to make songs from Ableton 10. Drums, bass, keyboards...

That volume difference makes it impossible for me to mix with the Kemper signal, since I have to lower all the faders and the master output is very low.

• Ok, let's assume all is fine with your monitor mix ... next step:

Focusrite Control shows you the meters for incoming signals. What do the meters for the S/PDIF input look like when you play? Do they show a good signal level? Or does it already look pretty low at this point?

• I have done several tests and have managed to get a stronger signal, with a more normal volume. I'll tell you how:

In Focusrite Control, instead of putting the SPDIF input in stereo (1&2), I have separated them into SPDIF 1 or SPDIF 2 mono.

What is the problem now? The signal is MUCH worse than that from the Kemper's headphones. With less depth, less serious, less detail. In short, less rich and more compressed and ugly.

I leave you images of all my settings. Let's leave the DAW Ableton aside, and I'll try to focus first on getting good sound out of the Focusrite.

A

• Ok, regarding your Focusrite Control screenshots ... both of them show that clipping had occured on the "Monitor Outputs 1+2" output.

Also, all S/PDIF inputs show a max input level of around -3.0dB. I guess you just didn't think of resetting these before you tested the 2 configurations (stereo and dual mono) and took the screenshots.

But let's just assume the level meter bars roughly show the maximum input level you got. So what's next?

1. Set the S/PDIF input back to stereo in Focusrite Control. The unpanned dual-mono setup (with Kemper S/PDIF output set to "Master stereo") will cause a variety of problems we don't need at this point.

2. Is the profile you're playing a clean (or cleanish) profile? If so, what happens if you increase the Compressor value in the AMPLIFIER block?

3. What's the value of the "Rig Volume" in the RIG menu? And what's the value of "Volume" in the AMPLIFIER block? Both at 0dB?

4. Any other active effects in slots X, MOD, DLY or REV? If so, check them for a volume parameter and if it's set to 0dB. Just as an example ... if you have an EQ or a Compressor loaded and active, they do have volume parameters where you could turn down the volume and then go crazy searching for the root of the low levels. ;) So best option is to make sure all 8 effects slots are empty (or at least deactivated) and none of them is locked.

Let's see if this brings us any further.