Workflow for self producing / recording?

• do you link the tracks in an edit group? In this case all tracks should always stay synced when editing. In Logic you can easily do comp edits on group tracks so that the DI and Amp tracks comp simultaneously with edits and cross fades all lined up automatically.

I have not heard of this. Will definitely google it.

• If I'm writing new music, I'll first lay down a scratch track with the guitar. This gives me an idea of what drum beats will work. Sometimes I'll play the drums, sometimes I'll programme, but the main thing is to ensure that the drum notes are finalised. If you are using an e-kit. or programming a VST, then sound can be tweaked later

After drums, I'll play down the bass track. Try and get it so there's interplay between the drums and bass, and so that cymbals and some bits are coloured by the sound of the bass. I'll usually record a DI bass as well as an effected track and blend them.

Next is guitars. Depending on what I'm going for, I'll either dual or quad track. In my current project, I'm going for six tracks, three on each side, guitars in different tunings or scale lengths. I'll always record the DI as well, just to cover all bases. Given that there are so many different guitar parts, it helps to be able to play around with different gain structures and tones to build a sound out of multiple amps, rather than a single amp.

Synths are always last for me, since they are more of a way to add more colours, rather than the foundations of my songs (since I'm a guitarist). That's not to say there can't be melodies, but it's just my approach. Since I record with midi, it's easy to choose and layer sounds down the line.

Still trying to come up with a workflow for vocals. It's problematic when you're doing it all yourself, I feel that it gets in the way of a good performance. I have a Townshend Labs Sphere microphone, which allows me to "reamp" my voice, but I'm still figuring out the best way to record vocals.

Yes, you can record without a DI. But when there are more ingredients in a song than just dual tracked guitar, bass down the middle and drums panned, it helps to be able to revisit things later without having to track again.

Once all the elements are in, on to mixing and finally mastering. It's a horrible idea to mix and master your own music though. Ideally, you should have a fresh pair of ears do it for you.