Hey all! For those of you who write, record, produce, and mix your own music, what is your typical workflow with the Kemper?
For example, with the last song I recorded,
- I demoed the song with basic tones.
- I learned the parts better,
- Put together all the final guitar and bass tones I wanted to use.
- Re-tracked everything with both the Kemper main out and the DI.
- Fixed some timing issues with tight heavy riffs on the DI tracks
- Reamped adjusted DIs, and also reamped some stuff to change profiles
- Final mix and master.
I liked how easy it was on my computer because I wasn't running many plugins. I didn't like that I kept forgetting to record DIs to go with every track. It was also kind of a pain to make sure all 3 ins (Stereo L/R, DI) were at good levels. I also did this over the span of a couple weeks, so it was kind of a pain to keep hooking up all the cables to my interface (Scarlett 8i6)
On the newest song I'm working on, I decided to track all heavy rhythm guitars direct using Neural DSP plugins, so I can align and tweak timing issues first. Then I plan on reamping the heavy rhythm tones. I've also recorded bass direct instead of through the Kemper. I'm being a little less regimented and recording with whatever is easiest for me at the time.
Although I welcome everyone's input, I'd really love to hear from people who use the Kemper to make music with a lot of tracks, tones, and layers. Replies like "I just use 2 profiles and send them to the mix engineer" isn't really helpful.